Old November 14th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Andrew Venor

windsor wrote:

Why do European and American travellers feel it necessary to visit both
Australia and NZ? As if Australia&NZ is one country.

I think people look at a map and see an opportunity to tick off another
country on their list of places they have been.

If you have always dreamed of visiting Australia, why not spend the
extra time and money there instead of going to NZ as well? Australia is
a huge country with much to see.

I'm not against going to NZ at all... but I wonder how many visitors
have really haboured a real desire to go there. Ask yourself... would
you go to NZ if you weren't going to Australia? Only if the answer is
"yes" should you go to NZ. Otherwise it will just be a stupid, shallow
appendage to your trip.

When I go to London, I can see how easy it would be to see Paris as
well. But I don't... why? Because I am not a Francophile. It would be a
fun yet shallow experience. Better for me to spend the extra time and
money getting to know London in more depth.

For people who are making a once in a lifetime trip and who have time to
visit both, then making a combined vacation to both New Zealand and
Australia makes sense if you are going to travel all that distance
across the Pacific for North Americans. Or the ever farther flight to
the far side of the globe for Europeans.

If this isn't an once in a life time vacation for you, then you might as
well break it up and visit each country on separate trips.

ALV