Old April 30th, 2009, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Sydney Apartment/cottage/house etc

[Default] On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:16:55 +1000, Alan S
offered the following words of wisdom:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:46:05 +1000, "Kerry raymond"
wrote:

My guess is that there is a difference from someone just ringing up and
booking (as you appeared to be) and someone who says "I see your price on
Wotif is $X -- can you do me a better deal?".

Kerry

I understood everything you wrote. However, I get about a
50% success rate with that technique. The honesty of their
relationship with web-bookers is their business, not mine.

There was no technique or attempt to meet Wotif's rate involved. I
simply rang the hotel direct to ask a question and, once I got it,
decided to book the suite and asked them the rate. I didn't mention
Wotif or the rate on Wotif, but the hotel offered me the exact same
rate nevertheless.

In any case I usually ring, when possible, to check the
other aspects I mentioned.

In many cases even when I return to the web to make the
booking the phone call has alerted the staff and I find I
have a better room than expected from the usual "run of the
house" web-rooms.

I'll try that next time. But the hotel we use when we visit Auckland
(Crowne Plaza) already gives us the Wotif price and upgrades our room
because we've stayed there several times and are members of their
"Priority Club Rewards" customer loyalty scheme.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Cheers, Bob, NZ