Old May 14th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Mark Fagan

Default Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

It's always a good idea to call your credit card and ATM card providers
before going on a trip. A change in use patterns might trigger an
anti-theft hold on your card, in which case you then have to call home and
get it unblocked. Some companies will only do this if you call from your
home phone, for security reasons. Obviously tough to do in the middle of
Provence or where ever!

"Dan K" wrote in message
om...
The ATM card issued by my bank (Charter One) is a Mastercard. I have
always used it as an ATM card in Europe with no problems. Last week I
was in Rome, Italy, and went to use it to get cash, and was told by
the ATM machine "Card not valid for international transactions." I
tried many different ATM machines, and kept getting the same type of
message. Fortunately, I had brought some travelers checks along, so I
cashed those.

I got back yesterday, and called my bank to ask if they had any idea
why I had problems. "Oh, yes" said the customer service rep. "We've
blocked the use of Mastercard in a number of countries!" Apparently,
due to fraud problems, the Mastercards can't be used in many
countries, including Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Japan, China, and
a dozen others. In some countries the restriction was for PIN
applications only (like ATM machines), in other countries (incuding
all the ones I listed above) the cards couldn't be used for anything,
even as a credit card. It wasn't clear if this was a Charter One
policy, or a Mastercard policy; one rep said it was a general
Mastercard policy, another rep didn't know.

Therefo If you are planning a trip to Europe or Asia, and plan on
using a Mastercard ATM card (or any ATM card for that matter), call
your bank first, and confirm that you can use it. And have a backup
plan for getting cash, such as traveler checks or an alternate ATM
card.

Message to Charter One: Thanks for not bothering to let your customers
know about this policy!!!

Happy trails.
Dan