Old November 20th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Traveler

Default United standby - how does that work for connecting flights?

Thanks for the response. I'll stick to the SEA-SFO-SAN routing. Is there a
way to tell how full a given flight is earlier in the day to help determine
standby chances?

Traveler

"Traveller" wrote in message
"Traveler" wrote in message
On December 25, I have Flight 1465 leaving SEA at 4:40 PM to SFO
and then a change to Flight 785 in SFO to SAN.

If I stand by for an earlier flight, could I get a flight that changed
planes
in LAX (for example)? Or does the flight I stand by for have to have
the same connections as the original flight?

For me, you're running a risk if you re-route. If you travel SEA-LAX and
then UA in LAX don't honour your ticket because the routing ain't right,

you
could be stuffed. Even if they do honour your ticket, if there's no space
LAX-SAN, what will you do? I would stick to your route.

Alternatively, if I stand by for an earlier SEA-SFO flight and get it,
does that mean anything in respect to standing by for
an earlier SFO-SAN flight?

Not a thing. All standbys for earlier flights than those ticketed are

done
solely on the goodwill of whoever's at the airport that day. You can read
all the policies you like but my experience has consistently been that you
can never tell what will happen until you get there.

I'm planning to arrive at the airport about 1 PM. I had to leave myself
plenty of time, which is why I did not book an earlier flight. However,
if I can get there earlier I would be happy about that.

My 12-year-old daughter will also be with me, if that affects anything.

We
would not mind being seated separately.

It shouldn't, apart from the fact that it's always harder to get 2 standby
seats than one. A 12-year old is old enough to travel "alone" so she can
sit on her own if needs be.

You have earlier connections as follows:

SEA-SFO at 120p and 330p
SFO-SAN at 425p and 655p

Your chances are fair, I'd say