Old April 23rd, 2006, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Honeymoon - Best Destination - July ???

Hi Alan

One or two things to add - mostly covered.

The migration *is* worth seeing, if you are in the right place.
We were lucky enough to have an extra trip over to the Mara river with our
tour and saw a lot of the carnage etc (if that kind of thing appeals!).

400mm IS at f5.6 should be fine - particularly if you are on digital with
the option to increase the ISO if you need it. Either way, take a bean bag -
its the best form of support by far when poking your head through a safari
vehicle roof.

For Kenya safaris I can recommend Eyes on Africa (www.eyesonafrica.org) who
will set up whatever tour you want (and will make suggestions too). If you
wish, they will provide a personal guide/transport etc -which they have done
for me - and do understand about photography requirements (for example
switching the engine off when stationary, and getting the light behind you
etc)

We also went to Zanzibar on one occasion and it is an excellent escape for
romantics!
Have a couple of days in Stonetown first if you can - to walk about the
winding alleys, see the harbour and the sites, before having a few days on
the east coast for sea and sand.

Last point, if you go to Tanzanire, you might consider the Tarangire
conservation area - just outside the Tarangire National Park. Its run by the
locals, rather than a big multinational, and offers a bit more wilderness
without the risks!
The rooms are treehouses, and the elephant drink from the swimming pool!

More info here - http://www.tomalin.org/bedford/index.htm

Treehouse and elephant here -
http://www.tomalin.org/charles/tanza...e/103_0331.jpg
http://www.tomalin.org/charles/tanza...007_034Nik.JPG

Whatever you do, have fun and I suspect you'll be back!

Charles

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all of the information.

As far as adventure goes, we would probably like something which gave
us a good taste of Africa, both wildlife and culture. Admittedly a
safari probably is not the best cultural experience but I would think
there are ways to increase your exposure. We spent some time in Peru a
couple of years ago and had a great experience meeting the local
people. This may be less important as we will be on our honeymoon and
won't want an itinerary which is too extreme. The ten days in Peru were
exhausting.

I will have a 100-400mm IS lens (slow 5.6 at 400mm) with me but I would
like to get some close up shots as well. It sounds like the open air
vehicles in Botswana might be better for photography. I suppose we can
find a private safari in Kenya which would offer the same flexibility.

Do you have any recommendations on which tour group to use?

Thanks,
Alan