Old September 8th, 2006, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Padraig Breathnach

Default sedation, was Bilingual in Europe versus USA

" wrote:

Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, wrote:

Basically I have read that there is evidence that "sedation"
(building of permanent settlements and the infrastructure that goes
along with it)

Do you really use the word "sedation" in this context to indicate the
action of settling down ?

[snip]

Okay, now I've got access to the reference. But I don't think
anyone
is gonna like the correct word either.

The word used was "sedentism". The reference is "Ideas" by Peter
Watson.

Google gives "about 55,800" hits. A glance at the first few supports
the definition above.

NSOED does not have it, but has a word that clearly comes from the
same roots, and with similar meaning: sedentarisation (and it scores
three times as many Google hits).

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED