Old April 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Default So who's made an effort ...

On 12/04/2013 2:46 AM, Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:
Am Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:21:36 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Bert:

I studied French and German in school, and have had little opportunity
to use either. I was able to read signs, menus and the like when I
traveled in Austria and Germany, but neither language was of much use in
The Netherlands or Norway.

In the Netherlands you can get around with German, the two languages are
not so different from each other and most dutch people understand basic
German. You will also be able to read menus or roadsigns.

Norway is a different story, but most of the people there speak pretty good
english (like in most of Scandinavia).

I learned French and German in high school and brushed up on them before
making a trip to Europe. Both were, and still are very rusty, but I was
able to get buy. In most cases when I spoke the local language they
responded in English.

Before travelling to Sweden a few years ago I got a CD of Swedish
lessons and transferred them to an MP3 player. As it turned out, I
didn't need. Our host and hostess and all their family and friends all
spoke excellent English. I only ran into one Swede who did not speak
English.

From my experiences, Belgium and Italy were the only places where it
was hard to get service in English.