Old June 7th, 2012, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith[_3_]

Default 'On-the-road restaurants in USA

"Neville MADDEN" wrote in message
Good morning,

My wife and I are planning a three month driving tour in the US, mainly
in a big loop from Los Angeles to Seattle to Niagara to NY to Florida,
New Orleans, GC, Las Vegas and back to LA.

Last time, about 10 years ago, we used to eat at the "eat all you can for
$5.99" restaurants for the main meal of the day. Reasonable quality food
and helped keep the travel budget reasonable.

Looking at Denny's and Wendy's web site this option no longer seems
available.

Any suggestions as what is the best option nowadays.

Thanks

Neville
Queensland
Australia

I doubt that you'll see prices like that again as $5.99 is roughly what a
low-end combo costs at Burger King these days. Roadfood is a website (and a
series of books) about unfancy places to eat around the country
(http://roadfood.com/). At the very least they'll give you some insight to
local specialties, but they do actually eat at all the places they
recommend.

You didn't mention when you're coming, but from now until a few weeks into
September you'll be able to find some kind of festival just about every
weekend no matter where you are. These will be put on by churches and clubs
usually, but they can also be fundraisers for just about any purpose, and
they will sell food that can be very good. They are the kind of affair that
you really have to keep your eyes open to find unless you happen upon the
event itself. Look for posters on lamp posts or on car windshields, in
store windows and the like, or just ask around. From August into October
there will be some overlap with harvest fairs, where the food won't be cheap
but it can definitely be odd (particularly in the midwest)

Most supermarkets now have prepared food sections where you can pick up
pretty decent food at reasonable prices to eat at a scenic area or at your
lodging. This may be your lowest cost option, but be aware that even 24hr
stores don't cook through the night. Buy early.

Good luck,
Keith