Old September 29th, 2004, 04:16 PM
j.e.r.

Dave.US wrote in message . ..
I'm spending a week in Geneva Switzerland in October with a weekend
stayover and I'm looking for advice on what to see in the region.
I'll be traveling by train and most likely not renting a car. I spent
a weekend in the area in September and hit Yvoires and Lausaune and am
looking for advice on other things to see this trip.

I'm looking for somewhere interesting to spend the night on Friday and
Saturday nights outside of Geneva in cities where I could do a bit of
site-seeing during the day. I've been thinking about Friday night in
Berne and Saturday night in Montreux with a bit of site-seeing in each
city during the day.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Plenty of options, but try to adjust for weather conditions
if you can. A tour on one of the steamers on Lake Geneva
for example in Lausanne-Montreux-Villeneuve area is great -
but little fun with foggy weather.

If you decide for Berne Friday evening - try to find
time for Saturday morning market (still markets in most
towns Saturday morning). Montreux is o.k. for walking
along the lake or as departure point for a tour on the
lake, but outside one of the special events there not
really a place I would stay for an evening - I would
probably opt for Lausanne, or a quiet nice place on the
mountains above Montreux. What about Geneva-Berne on
Friday, train via Bernese Oberland to Montreux Saturday,
take a ship for either Lausanne or some smaller place
on lake Geneva north shore for Saturday evening ?

My favourite scenic trip for a weekend is Zermatt and
the Gornergrat - but late October is imho not the ideal
time of the year (or only if the mountain area already
got enough snow the days before travelling there).

Regarding food: one of the best times of the year and
plenty of great to excellent restaurants mainly around
lake Geneva. I usually take Michelin Red Guide Switzerland
for tours like this ..... .

Have a great trip!