Ft. Lauderdale - What Beach for post cruise?

Old July 11th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Larry Simon

Default Ft. Lauderdale - What Beach for post cruise?

Our next cruise (Summit 3/21/05) ends on a Friday so we're thinking of
staying in Florida for a couple of days afterwards. We want a nice beach
front hotel and were thinking of Ft. Lauderdale since we're right there, but
were wondering if there were nicer beach areas up or down the coast a short
ways. (i.e., Palm Beach, Boca, Miami Beach).

What do you think is the best area and why?

If we stay in Ft. Lauderdale we were thinking of the Sheraton Yankee
Clipper - is this a nice place and in a nice area?

Old July 11th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Heather

Ft. Lauderdale - What Beach for post cruise?

Lloyd Beach.

-Heather
Remove CanOspam to email
http://members.aol.com/nookeybear/index1.htm
Old July 11th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Larry Simon

Thanks - but core question is whether we should stay on Ft. Lauderdale beach
or travel north to palm beach areas or south to Miami beach. I'm not
familiar with Florida enough to know if there is a difference and/or what
makes each areas nice, or if they are all about the same.

"Howie" wrote in message
Larry Simon wrote:

If we stay in Ft. Lauderdale we were thinking of the Sheraton Yankee
Clipper - is this a nice place and in a nice area?

Place is a little old and run down. Location is good. Bid priceline on
a beach area resort. The only one is Marriott Harbor Beach. If you
win, you will be staying at the nicest beach front hotel in Lauderdale.

Howie

Old July 14th, 2004, 04:05 AM
HoTShoT

Just so I'm understanding this...there's a dress code to walk down the
street in Palm Beach? Men have to wear a shirt and tie? Tell me I'm
misunderstanding you.....please....

Lee

They meant to say their poop does not stink at West Palm Beach.

Old July 14th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Tom & Linda

"Howie" wrote in message
news

Larry Simon wrote:

Howie - I don't suppose there is any way to specify an "ocean view" room

on
priceline is there? (can you tell I'm a priceline rookie)

No there isn't, Larry. However, I always ask for this at check in, and
only once were they not able to provide one. The hotel and its property
are really nice, and in a totally different league than anything else at
the beach in Ft. Lauderdale.

Marriott Harbor Beach is where the New York Yankees stay in Ft. Lauderdale.
The Yankees only go top notch. Case closed.

--Tom

Old July 14th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Brian K

On 07/13/2004 12:53 AM Brian K after palpating a Gingko, electronically
interjected:

On 07/11/2004 12:40 PM Larry Simon after palpating a Gingko,
electronically interjected:

Our next cruise (Summit 3/21/05) ends on a Friday so we're thinking of
staying in Florida for a couple of days afterwards. We want a nice
beach
front hotel and were thinking of Ft. Lauderdale since we're right
there, but
were wondering if there were nicer beach areas up or down the coast a
short
ways. (i.e., Palm Beach, Boca, Miami Beach).

What do you think is the best area and why?

If we stay in Ft. Lauderdale we were thinking of the Sheraton Yankee
Clipper - is this a nice place and in a nice area?

Palm Beach is where the "Old Money" and some of the new "Movers and
Shakers" stay. There is only one hotel to speak of in Palm Beach. It
is a gem, but staying in this gem does not come cheaply and you will
never find it on priceline or any other Travel-bot. On Worth Street
and other parts of Palm Beach dress codes are stricktly inforced.
March is on the tail-end of High Season so you may be able to see some
of the grand beach mansions before their owners leave and they are
boarded up until next December.

Palm Beach is better seen as a day trip from Ft. Lauderdale. Day
Dress casual code on Worth street: Well shined loafers, clean hose up
to the knee, bermuda shorts, shirt, tie and sports jacket for men. No
shorts, capri pants, bare midriff clothes for women. A tastefull sun
dress, with pumps for women. Evening wear: Think QM2 on Formal
Night. It's sort of an upscale "Stepford" town. The beach is the
only place where things can get a little casual. There is a public
beach in Palm Beach but I'll be damned if I know where the entrance
can be found.

For an inside look at Palm Beach Society, see the documentary "Power
and Prestige in Palm Beach" or read the book.

My appologies to the group. I did not mean to provide misinformation.
I should have stated that select primo establishments along Worth Street
have a dress code which is strictly inforced.

Still to stay in Palm Beach, is not for the budget minded. For a stay at
the Breakers in March $450.00 - $3,500 per night are the rates depending
on room selected. Visit www.thebreakers.com for full information.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old July 15th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Larry Simon

Thanks to all for comments. Based on one comment (can't remember if it was
here or another group) I'm thinking of the Loews Miami Beach Hotel or
something else in Miami, but still struggling with the price. I'll think it
over a few days and then either book there or at the one of the Ft.
Lauderdale Sheraton's if we decide the Loews's is too much.