SIM Cards

Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Default SIM Cards

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article e.nl,
Frank Slootweg says...

Nope. You mentioned two numbers in the part about *recharging*, no
number for *activating*.

One of the numbers is the hotline through which in theory you are able
to activate.

Be *specific*. AFAICT there is no number called "hotline" and what the
heck does "in theory" mean?

Thanks. I did go, actually seven times. And I *did* enjoy my Vodafone
SIM card, that's why I said your experience is not normal.

The problem with Vodafone was that apparently their hotline is only
functional during working days. It did not work on Jan. 1st, as the
kiosk owner confirmed.

If you call the *right* number, i.e. the number in the supplied
documentation (You *did* actually *read* the instructions, didn't you?)
you get connected to an *automated* response system. AFAIR, the *whole*
procedure is automated, so I doubt that the *computer* had a holiday.

[repeat deleted]

As you said, in Malaysia the *shop clerk* activated the phone, so you
have no way of knowing whether or not a local address was required and
if so whether (s)he just gave *their* address, which many shops do. The
other countries are probably the same.

No.

I can confirm that the clerk in Malaysia did not request any local
address from us. Same in China and Vietnam.

Sigh! I didn't say that he *asked* for an address, but that you have
no way of knowing if he *supplied* an address or not.

Which makes a lot of sense, because it is pointless to request a local
address from a foreign traveller. Even if you give the address of the
first hotel where you are staying (assuming you have a booking), you'll
have a new address in a few days, if you travel around the country.

[silent snip of counter argument noted]

Bottom line: You had a bad experience for whatever reason. ****
happens. But bashing Vodafone for *one* event, which probably wasn't
even their fault is rather silly.

No. Here is what is wrong with Vodafone:

1. Customer hotline not working on public holidays - impossible to
activate over the phone, forcing people to use the Internet.
2. Poor choice of retail partners (can't activate SIM cards, don't know
what they are selling).
3. Requiring a local address for activation from a foreigner.
4. Their network had technical problems on the first day.

After my earlier responses I read a bit of your 'travelogue', of your
*first* trip of no less than *eight* days. I think I've seen (more than)
enough! Let's hope for the Aussies' (and my) sake, that it was your
*last* trip as well.

But stay tuned for my upcoming travelogue of my trip to Germany. I
plan to stay one or may be even two days, so I'll be an expert on all
things German.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article me.nl,
Frank Slootweg says...

Be *specific*. AFAICT there is no number called "hotline" and what the
heck does "in theory" mean?

yawn

If you call the *right* number, i.e. the number in the supplied
documentation (You *did* actually *read* the instructions, didn't you?)
you get connected to an *automated* response system. AFAIR, the *whole*
procedure is automated, so I doubt that the *computer* had a holiday.

Once again: even the kiosk owner who checked with Vodafone confirmed
that the hotline of Vodafone was not operational on that day.

And yes, I called the right number.

Sigh! I didn't say that he *asked* for an address, but that you have
no way of knowing if he *supplied* an address or not.

What the clerk does is 100% irrelevant, as long as a foreigner does not
have to supply an address which he/she does not have.

After my earlier responses I read a bit of your 'travelogue', of your
*first* trip of no less than *eight* days. I think I've seen (more than)
enough! Let's hope for the Aussies' (and my) sake, that it was your
*last* trip as well.

Sigh. Take it easy and relax for a while. I just reported what happened
with Vodafone in Australia.

By the way, one more post like this and I'll start filtering out your
posts.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
PJT

Thank you all,

I have now read elsewhere that Vodafone coverage is not as good as Telstra
so will stick with the latter even if it is a little more expensive.

Peter

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
.home.nl...
PJT wrote:
Does anyone have experience of using a pay as you go simcard from
www.simcardguru.co.uk whilst travelling in Australia ?

I gather this is purchased before leaving the UK but can be topped up in
Australia.

I would only consider this option if you *have* to know your
Australian mobile number *before* you arrive in Australia.

In all *other* situations, I would *not* use this option.

You can buy prepaid SIMs 'everywhere' in Oz and the main brands
(Telstra, Vodafone, etc.) can be activated over the (mobile) phone, so
activation isn't a problem.

For *me*, coverage is the most important. If you also want/need to use
your phone in smaller/rural towns, then the Telstra *network* is the
only option. This (www.simcardguru.co.uk) SIM uses the Vodafone
network. Vodafone itself will not let you roam onto other networks, so I
doubt that this SIM will. Vodafone network means less/no coverage.

I also doubt that recharge vouchers for this SIM are widely available,
unless it also accepts Vodafone vouchers.

OTOH, the rates to call (from Australia) to other countries seem
rather attractive, so if you intend/need to do that a lot, this SIM
might be a good choice.

OTOH2, considering the low price of this SIM (4 pounds), you probably
can do *both*, i.e. buy this SIM before you go and, if needed, buy a
'better' one at you leisure after you arrive.

FYI, I use a Telstra pre-paid SIM. Higher rates, but the best
coverage.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article me.nl,
Frank Slootweg says...

Be *specific*. AFAICT there is no number called "hotline" and what the
heck does "in theory" mean?

yawn

Yes, your side-stepping becomes very boring. And so does your silent
snipping of counter arguments. You're not very good at this debating
stuff, are you?

If you call the *right* number, i.e. the number in the supplied
documentation (You *did* actually *read* the instructions, didn't you?)
you get connected to an *automated* response system. AFAIR, the *whole*
procedure is automated, so I doubt that the *computer* had a holiday.

Once again: even the kiosk owner who checked with Vodafone confirmed
that the hotline of Vodafone was not operational on that day.

As I said, there *is* no such line and even if there were, it's not
*needed* for *activation*, because the *automated* system works just
fine.

And yes, I called the right number.

Which *is*?

Sigh! I didn't say that he *asked* for an address, but that you have
no way of knowing if he *supplied* an address or not.

What the clerk does is 100% irrelevant, as long as a foreigner does not
have to supply an address which he/she does not have.

It's *fully* relevant. That you're to clueless to comprehend that
isn't our problem.

After my earlier responses I read a bit of your 'travelogue', of your
*first* trip of no less than *eight* days. I think I've seen (more than)
enough! Let's hope for the Aussies' (and my) sake, that it was your
*last* trip as well.

Sigh. Take it easy and relax for a while. I just reported what happened
with Vodafone in Australia.

If anyone one should relax, it's you. Your 'travelogue' is one big
whingeing session of someone who is clueless, ill prepared, etc..

By the way, one more post like this and I'll start filtering out your
posts.

Wow! I'm trembling in my wooden shoes! Anyway, I hope that this post
is sufficient.
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On 20 Feb, 10:21, "PJT" wrote:
Does anyone have experience of using a pay as you go simcard fromwww.simcardguru.co.uk*whilst travelling in Australia ?

I gather this is purchased before leaving the UK but can be topped up in
Australia.

Thanks

Peter

Thay may have a .co.uk address but thay are based in Australia so the
card looks like it might be shiped from Australia not UK. May as well
wait untill you get there. In Australia sim cards are for sale in most
places and your get a much better choice.