New England In The Fall

Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
MLD

"Heather Morrison" wrote in message

"MLD" wrote in message

news:j9jZc.870$3Q5.118@trndny06...
End of October is iffy especially the further North you go. The roads

are
fine--after Labor Day the traffic thins out considerably. Maybe heading
South on a late Sunday afternoon it might get busy but nothing like a

summer
day. In my opinion, the foliage thing is greatly overblown--maybe

because
am right in the middle of it and just take it for granted. That's not

say taking a vacation through NE is bad--this is great vacation country,
winter or summer. Of course, one must remember, eventually the leaves

fall
down. The clean up is a big PIA especially since I am right next to a
wooded area and the wind always empties the trees in my back yard. Don't
come back with "leave them there"--they pile up so high that left over

the
winter they'll kill the grass.
MLD

I understand what you are saying somewhat. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada.
The "glories" of autumn arrive here too...especially in Cape Breton in the
Highlands and along the Margaree Valley.

Autumn is actually my favourite season here. I love the crisp air and the
glorious fall sunshine. I am headed to the White Mountains too this year.

We
have to go to the states for another reason...Leominster, Mass.... and are
going to drive home by diverting through the mountains. We have been there
many times.

My partner is Danish, living most of the time in Denmark, the foliage

change
fascinates him. He loves..as do I..the beautiful colour changes of the

sugar
maples etc. He is also going to help me rake up my yard after the first

big
blow that takes most of them down. This is when they are wet and heavy and
mucky to clean up. I left them one year..and yes..they ruined chunks of

our
yard. Then again over the years we have used them for decorations and
created wonderful things with them. I actually painted my dining room a
lovely autumn orange colour specifically because it has HUGE windows that
look out onto a Maple grove and in fall the whole room and outdoors has

the
most lovely warm glow.

The White Mountains are wonderful to visit anytime. So if people miss the
foliage (late october seems late for the leaves) there are plenty of
wonderful sites to see and things to do. This time we are going to hike

the
flume gorge and some other less known trails. We have already booked our
cabins and hotels to assure we have that cabin with the fireplace nestled
amongst the trees.

I am still devasted from a distance about the loss of the "old man of the
mountain". I haven't been in Franconia since the loss and know it will be
difficult to see...or not see as it is.

Yup ..I empathize with your raking etc...but to those who don't experience
those glorious transformations of four separate seasons..the foliage

"shows"
are spectacular when they get to actually see one. Nothing like a full set
of rolling hills alight with the splendour of Autumn leading down to a
meandering river ...waiting for the flash of silver as the salmon leap!

toodles

HeatherM

Just came back from visiting Halifax. Lived there for 5 years eons ago.
Went to Dalhousie and then to NS Technical College. Am in Mass but only 30
min south of NH along Rt 95. As far as the leaves---I now use a lawn tractor
to round them up and by time I get through beating them up there is a long
row of chopped up/shredded leaves that takes a short time to clean up. Have
to do it about three times though but it sure beats days and days and days
of raking.
MLD

Old September 2nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
Heather Morrison

"MLD" wrote in message

[...]

The lawn tractor sounds like a lovely idea! I live on Dal Campus. My
backyard is adjacent a small grove of maple and oak that belongs to Dal. So
I am fortunate that Dal has most of the "raking" to do.

I hope you hit Halifax when we were having some good weather. It hasn't been
a bonus summer here so far but fall is starting to burnish nicely.

The students are back and wandering around the neighbourhood like manic
ants. I will increase my music repetoire for the next two weeks as they
settle in..blaring their return from flats and residences. I will be finding
the small brown glass treasures on my doorstep..half empty..and empty..left
while they have relieved themselves in my driveway...my dog is better
trained than some.

I do thrive on their enthusiasm and energy. Their boisterious noises and
spontaneous behaviours can be entertaining. I only interfere with their
lifestyles if there is a pattern of consistency that affects my day to day
life. It is interesting to note that a good number of these go on to be some
of the most productive people in society. How they get from the behaviour of
these few weeks and ensuing pre-holiday/after exams/moving on parties and
gatherings to that stage in thier lives is a mystery to me! Although..I did
it..I think (forced amnesia).

So you must..possibly..could be...somewhere close to Newberry..and Plum
Island? Lovely area. Of course as a Nova Scotian..I must ask..do you miss
Keith's! *G*. I only occasionaly partake but it does go down smooth on a
good day after the beach. I prefer an Old Peculiar but nothing soothes the
soul like a good cuppa tea.

toodles

HeatherM

Old September 2nd, 2004, 07:09 PM
MLD

"MLD" wrote in message

[...]

Ah!! Such fond memories--but like you I don't clearly recall acting in such
a manner g. The big thing was Rum & Coke along with the stuff that comes
in those brown things you were talking about. To age myself, Dal had a
residence for men freshman only and then, of course, Sheriff Hall ; so most
of the guys lived with a family in private homes renting a room. I was on
Preston St. My room cost me $5.00/wk.and on most nights the woman of the
house would come in with a snack. Tuition at Dal was $350/yr and Tech was
$250/yr. If you were a citizen of Nova Scotia and got all A' & B's they
refunded the tuition.
I was in Halifax in July, the week of the Tall Ships, and the weather was
great. I am about 20 miles South of Newbury in Peabody.
MLD

Old September 3rd, 2004, 04:10 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
Raymond wrote:

Hi,

October this year we shall be spending a week in the New England area
to see the fall. We shall be going to the White Mountains, Green
Mountain Forest and other areas such as the coast line just above
Boston.

We might expect the areas to be crowded. The questions we have are :-

Will it be notably crowded on the roads, not something we are used to
in America?

Will it be difficult to find places to stay on an ad-hock basis?

Thanks in advance should anyone have any information.

Cheers, Raymond.

(Sussex England)

October is probably a month too late for enjoying New England's fall
colors, but I am sure you will have an enjoyable visit anyway. I
doubt it will be too crowded, but you will save quite a bit of money
if you book your hotel room before you leave home.
Old September 3rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Shawn Hearn wrote:

snip

October is probably a month too late for enjoying New England's fall
colors, but I am sure you will have an enjoyable visit anyway. I
doubt it will be too crowded, but you will save quite a bit of money
if you book your hotel room before you leave home.

I will disagree. Prior to October you will likely find fall color only
in the extreme north of Vermont/New Hampshire or in Main. During the
month the color will move south and by the end will be over. When else
but October would you expect to see fall color in New England.
Certainly not a month earlier which would be September.

Perhaps you were thinking of Canada?

Old September 18th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Jay Goldman

This will be our 5th year of driving throughout New England to see the
fall foliage. We almost exclusively drive through the scenic country
side and little towns preferring to avoid the major highways.
We have never run into crowded driving conditions nor have we found it
difficult to find clean, well maintained, reasonably priced motels
without reservations throughout our trip. Hope this helps.