KBWI to possible be renamed

Old April 1st, 2005, 02:46 AM
Gregory Morrow

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Gregory Morrow

gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@eart hlink.net wrote:
A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:
Lawmakers Urged to Rename BWI Airport
Mar 29, 3:28 AM (ET)
By TOM STUCKEY

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - The widow of Thurgood Marshall joined those
urging lawmakers to rename Baltimore-Washington Airport in honor of
her husband, the nation's first black Supreme Court justice.

I liked the old name - Friendship Airport.

"Charm City Airport" would be nice too...

Don't hold your breath. Under a soon-to-be-passed law, all airports and
other public buildings are to be named after Ronald Reagan. Ronald Reagan
Baltimore Washington International Airport, Ronald Reagan LaGuardia

Airport,
Ronald Reagan Chesapeake Bay Highway Rest Stop and Comfort Station, and so
on.

Don't laugh...just talked to a friend in DC and apparently GWU Hospital is
now _Ronald Reagan_ GWU Hospital...

And I'm sure we'll have something in DC named "Schiavo Way" or some
such...bet on it.

--
Best
Greg

Old April 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM
RAK

"A Guy Called Tyketto" wrote in message

Lawmakers Urged to Rename BWI Airport
Mar 29, 3:28 AM (ET)
By TOM STUCKEY

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - The widow of Thurgood Marshall joined those
urging lawmakers to rename Baltimore-Washington Airport in honor of
her husband, the nation's first black Supreme Court justice.

cut
When Nelson Mandela took over power in South Africa one of the first things
on the agenda was the renaming of the airport in Johannesburg, then named
after Jan Smuts, a former white (pre-apartheid) leader of the country.
The story at the time was that his advisors were dithering over whether to
call it Nelson Mandela Airport, Mandela Johannesberg International Airport
or whatever (I made up those options) and asked his advice.. Apparently
Madela could not see what all the fuss was about and asked them to call it
Johannesburg International Airport.
Apart from ego issues and changing fashions in celebrity & politics etc., it
seems to me far more sensible to name airports after the cities they serve.