Paris apartment rental

Old October 12th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Jean Hackett

Default Paris apartment rental

We are planning a trip to Paris next March (2004) and are considering
renting an apartment for a week. Are there arrondissements that
should be avoided?
Has anyone rented an apartment from an owner or an agency and had good
or bad luck? Any tips on questions to ask before signing an
agreement? We would appreciate any suggestions from the savvy
travelers on this board. Thanks.
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Jenn

In article ,
(Jean Hackett) wrote:

We are planning a trip to Paris next March (2004) and are considering
renting an apartment for a week. Are there arrondissements that
should be avoided?
Has anyone rented an apartment from an owner or an agency and had good
or bad luck? Any tips on questions to ask before signing an
agreement? We would appreciate any suggestions from the savvy
travelers on this board. Thanks.

we have had nothing but good luck but ran into a couple this summer when
we were there who ended up with an apartment where the owner had made no
provisions for their stuff [the closets, drawers, shelves etc were
crowded with his stuff] and who continuously invaded their privacy
'checking' to make sure they hadn't damaged anything etc. These were
sensible middle aged people and their older teen daughter who gave no
cause for alarm.

I don't know how you avoid something like this -- but it is very helpful
to have lots of pictures, very good descriptions, and someone who will
actually discuss the apartment with you. The apartments we have rented
in Paris have all had many pictures, floor plans etc and we have been
totally pleased and not surprised in any way.

If you are going to Paris for the first time, you should get something
in the inner ring of arrondissements [probably 34d 45h 5th or 6th -- we
stayed in the Marais on our early trip] on our month long stay this
summer we stayed in the 20th, which we liked but it is too far out for
someone whose goal is to hit all the major tourist sites -- the 16th is
a more elegant neighborhood if you want to be further out
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Larry Finch

Jean Hackett wrote:

We are planning a trip to Paris next March (2004) and are considering
renting an apartment for a week. Are there arrondissements that
should be avoided?
Has anyone rented an apartment from an owner or an agency and had good
or bad luck? Any tips on questions to ask before signing an
agreement? We would appreciate any suggestions from the savvy
travelers on this board. Thanks.

I have used the Locaflat agency and have always been pleased with what
they provided. I try to stay in the 1st because it is convenient for my
business needs. See http://www.locaflat.com/

I also agree with your decision; for a week or more renting a flat is a
very nice way to live in Paris.

Note: I have no connection with this agency other than as a satisfied
client.

Larry

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old October 12th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Desmond Coughlan

le Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:14:51 -0500, dans l'article , Jenn a dit ...

{ snip }

we have had nothing but good luck but ran into a couple this summer when
we were there who ended up with an apartment where the owner had made no
provisions for their stuff [the closets, drawers, shelves etc were
crowded with his stuff] and who continuously invaded their privacy
'checking' to make sure they hadn't damaged anything etc. These were
sensible middle aged people and their older teen daughter who gave no
cause for alarm.

I don't know how you avoid something like this

Simple. If, when you move into the flat, you sign a 'bail' ('lease'), then
the answer is to send a recorded delivery letter to the person who rented
you the flat, using the expression 'mise en demeure', and giving him 30
days from reception, to remove his belongings.

A month later, you take his stuff, and you put it out on the street.

Sorted.

--
Desmond Coughlan |desmond [at] zeouane [dot] org
http://www.zeouane.org/
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Desmond Coughlan wrote:

[...]

the topic is vacation rentals -- these are generally in terms of a week
or a few weeks - so this doesn't work
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Larry Finch wrote:

Jean Hackett wrote:

[...]

I had good luck with them as well -- but they do reserve the right to
reassign you to some other place if the renters before decide to extend
their stay -- that could be grim
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Desmond Coughlan

le Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:21:18 -0500, dans l'article , Jenn a dit ...

[...]

Ah, well in that case, go to Plan B. Tell him to take his stuff out, and
48 hours later, kneecap him.

Old October 12th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Debra Weber Kurt Weber

This is not from personal experience, but RothRay have been highly
recommend to me by three separate people. I am sure a google search will
yield their URL.

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:37 AM
GG

Jean Hackett wrote:

We are planning a trip to Paris next March (2004) and are considering
renting an apartment for a week. Are there arrondissements that
should be avoided?
Has anyone rented an apartment from an owner or an agency and had good
or bad luck? Any tips on questions to ask before signing an
agreement? We would appreciate any suggestions from the savvy
travelers on this board. Thanks.

Good friends of ours rent a Paris apartment once or twice a year from
Servissimo - www.servissimo.com . I have visited them in two of these
apartments which were very nice. One was their studio #8 on the Ile de la
Cité. It's exactly as described and pictured on the website. The other was
in the 5th somewhere up the hill a few blocks from the Maubert-Mutualité
Metro station. They also liked one of their apartments on the Ile
St.-Louis.
Bonne chance et bon voyage!
GG

Old October 13th, 2003, 06:17 AM