visiting Madison

Old April 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dawn[_2_]

Default visiting Madison

Any Madison-ites want to share "towny" info?

I want to visit Madison this summer. Can you recommend any hotels?
Should I bother to stay in town (with a higher price tag), or save the
money and get a room 10 minutes out of town?

Chicago-ian.
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Apr 8, 8:16*am, Dawn wrote:
Any Madison-ites want to share "towny" info?

I want to visit Madison this summer. *Can you recommend any hotels?
Should I bother to stay in town (with a higher price tag), or save the
money and get a room 10 minutes out of town?

Chicago-ian.

Madison, WI is so small that it don't really matter where you are
staying. What's your purpose of visiting the town?
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Craig

"Dawn" wrote...

Any Madison-ites want to share "towny" info?

I want to visit Madison this summer. Can you recommend any hotels?
Should I bother to stay in town (with a higher price tag), or save the
money and get a room 10 minutes out of town?

Chicago-ian.

When visiting now, I spend most of my time around or in the UW campus and
Capitol. Given the scarcity of parking, I generally choose a place within
walking distance to the campus so I don't need to drive and prefer a place
between Bascom Hall and the Capitol nearby State Street. If getting a room
out of town and planning to visit UW or downtown, find a place near a bus
line so you won't need to drive and find parking every day.

Ex-student-towny Craig

PS--If you have a car with you, be sure to add time to visit Mt Horeb and
the Trollway with its Mustard Museum, New Glarus, Baraboo, Spring Green (and
House on the Rock, which folks either love or hate), tour Taliesin, etc. In
Madison: Monona Terrace, the Capitol, and much of UW is well worth a
visit--the Arboretum, too.

Old April 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Dawn wrote:
Any Madison-ites want to share "towny" info?

I want to visit Madison this summer. Can you recommend any hotels?
Should I bother to stay in town (with a higher price tag), or save the
money and get a room 10 minutes out of town?

Chicago-ian.

See "http://www.madisonhostel.org/".

They have private rooms at good prices.

For some reason, hotels in Madison, even chain hotels on the outskirts,
are very expensive.
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
BSJM

Dawn wrote:
Any Madison-ites want to share "towny" info?

I want to visit Madison this summer. Can you recommend any hotels?
Should I bother to stay in town (with a higher price tag), or save the
money and get a room 10 minutes out of town?

Chicago-ian.

Hi
Dawn,

Being a UW alumni, as well as the parent of a current UW student, I
visit Madison quite often. We generally stay at Crowne Plaza on the
East side with an educator dicount (friends are educators, not me) for
$79 a night.... however it is much more costly when you aren't an
educator... Another friend has also found good deals though some of
those hotel auction sites where you bid on a room... I've never used
that personally, but she and hubby have had good luck with that.

Every time I've visited Madison, I have not had any difficulty finding
parking near State Street (I use the ramps, they aren't very expensive,
especially if you are used to Chicago prices). I have visited during
the week, as well as on weekends. I see no need to stay near campus...

What is it you'd like to do while there? I always love the Farmers
Market on the Capital Square on Saturday mornings... but it is quite
busy, so consider going early. Get an ice cream cone in the Memorial
Union and eat it on the Terrace or the Library Mall, or in the evening
they have free concerts on the Union Terrace... they are sometimes fun.

Below is a link to parking near State Street:

http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/parking/downtownMap.html

Have an awesome time!

Shelly