All Cities in Europe....

Old May 11th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Steve Austin

Default All Cities in Europe....

Are going automobile-free. The ############# movement and the Green
Parties are winning.

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Gee! I thought that the Greens were doing rather poorly recently.
Riding on their modest past success I thought.

Old May 11th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Charles Hawtrey

"Steve Austin" crawled to the nearest keyboard
and summoned the courage to write:

Are going automobile-free. The ############# movement and the Green
Parties are winning.

That's the 'hash-ish' movement, I take it.

And is it 'winning', or 'whining'? Inquiring minds want to know.

--
the hums do not intrude
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:45 AM
szozu

"Steve Austin" wrote in message
Are going automobile-free. The ############# movement and the Green
Parties are winning.

Are you any relation to the "no-smoking restaurants" poster?

Lana

Old May 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Steve Austin

The environmental movement in Europe is succeeding in getting the Continent
to move away from auto travel. Europeans never got into cars you know. They
hate them like the plague. Hence car-free cities that are going up. They're
going up here, too.

Old May 11th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Steve Austin" wrote in message
The environmental movement in Europe is succeeding in getting the

Continent
to move away from auto travel. Europeans never got into cars you know.

They
hate them like the plague. Hence car-free cities that are going up.

They're
going up here, too.

What alternate universe do you inhabit ?

Here on planet Earth in Anno Domini 2004 there are
more cars than ever before. Consider the rise in ownership
levels between 1990 and 2000

Units are No of cars per 1000 inhabitants

Country 1990 2000
-------- ----- -----

Belgium 388 458
France 415 463
Germany 485 521
Italy 483 563
UK 375 419

Keith

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Frank F. Matthews

You can think whatever fantasy you like. Having visited europe recently
you are nuts. It is impossible to prove anything to someone who will
not see.

Steve Austin wrote:

I thought Europeans hated cars and were never really into them. I
thought European cities were off limits to cars. I thought car-free cities
were going up in Europe and the US. Prove to me that's not happening.

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Frank F. Matthews

It is true but it is Los Angeles del Muerte a small remote village in a
country not to be named where the inhabitants got tired of trying to
retrieve cars from their mud holes. Bicycles will also be banned since
they sink as well because of the narrow tires. Only ATVs will be
permitted. It is hopped that they will spray the mud sufficiently to
dig a drainage channel and restore the streets.

Kristian wrote:

"Steve Austin" wrote:

I thought Europeans hated cars and were never really into them. I
thought European cities were off limits to cars. I thought car-free cities
were going up in Europe and the US. Prove to me that's not happening.

--------
And I´ve heard rumors that Los Angeles will go car free from next week
- only bicycles will be allowed.

Kristian

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:23 PM
bonniejessee

Kristian wrote in message et2net.dk...
"Steve Austin" wrote:
I thought Europeans hated cars and were never really into them. I
thought European cities were off limits to cars. I thought car-free cities
were going up in Europe and the US. Prove to me that's not happening.

--------
And I´ve heard rumors that Los Angeles will go car free from next week
- only bicycles will be allowed.

Kristian

Perhaps it's your writing style, but I'm still laughing out loud at my
work desk at this one - having lived in LA for many years, the image
just strikes me as hilarious - I'd love to see a day in the life of LA
sans automobiles....total chaos and such a loss of posturing! However
would they get along? Hilarious! Thank you.
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Keeger

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

If that is so explain the existence of Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa
Romeo
Rolls Royce, MG, BWM, Mercedes etc. etc.

You sir have discerning taste
Let's not forget the Yugo or the Trabant now.

http://www.regimechangeusa.org