Cities most like Europe

Old October 13th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Casey

Default Cities most like Europe

One of the things I like about Europe is the old architecture.
Obviously, with the USA & Canada being younger, one will not
see buildings built during the 1700s. That said, what cities in the
USA or Canada will be most like a European city? I would guess
that Montreal would top the list because of the French influence.
Any others?

Casey

Old October 13th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Casey" wrote in message
ink.net...
One of the things I like about Europe is the old architecture.
Obviously, with the USA & Canada being younger, one will not
see buildings built during the 1700s.

Yes you will, try Taos and Santa Fe in New Mexico for starters.
Santa Fe was established in 1610 as I recall.

Then as an encore consider some of the pueblos like Acoma
that have been there for a 800 years.

That said, what cities in the
USA or Canada will be most like a European city? I would guess
that Montreal would top the list because of the French influence.
Any others?

N'awlins of course

Keith

Old October 13th, 2003, 08:45 AM
alohacyberian

"Casey" wrote in message
ink.net...
One of the things I like about Europe is the old architecture.
Obviously, with the USA & Canada being younger, one will not
see buildings built during the 1700s. That said, what cities in the
USA or Canada will be most like a European city? I would guess
that Montreal would top the list because of the French influence.
Any others?

Well, I like Hamilton, Ontario, but, most Canadians shudder at the mere
mention of the name! :-) KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old October 13th, 2003, 10:05 AM
MMcC

"Casey" wrote in message
ink.net...
One of the things I like about Europe is the old architecture.
Obviously, with the USA & Canada being younger, one will not
see buildings built during the 1700s. That said, what cities in the
USA or Canada will be most like a European city? I would guess
that Montreal would top the list because of the French influence.
Any others?

Quebec City is the closest thing in US/Can. Montreal to me looks like for
the most part like many other North American cities.

The French Quarter in New Orleans has an old world feel to it, but the rest
of New Orleans is fairly American.

If you want to expand your criteria to the rest of North America and include
Mexico then there's a whole bunch of Mexican cities that look very old and
European, esp Guanajuato, Zacatecas, Queretaro, Morelia, Saltillo and the
older parts of Mexico City, San Luis Potosi and Guadaljara etc etc etc....
there's loads more.

Casey

Old October 13th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Hans-Christian Grosz" wrote in message
Casey wrote:

One of the things I like about Europe is the old architecture.
Obviously, with the USA & Canada being younger, one will not
see buildings built during the 1700s. That said, what cities in the
USA or Canada will be most like a European city? I

I don't want to spoil your search, but old european cities often have
grown for more than 2000 years and older. So how can a US/Can-city
even came close to such? If you want to see such cities, you have to
go to europe...

HC

Thats a VERY Eurocentric view, last timeI checked there were rather a lot
of ancient cities in Asia, Africa, India and the Middle East.

Mexico city has been in existence for at least 3000 years.
You do recall it was the Aztec capital before the Spaniards
arrived dont you ?

According to a recent article in the journal Science the
oldest city in the Americas is Caral, an ancient Peruvian
city which has been shown to have been inhabited
over 4000 years ago

Keith

Old October 13th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Casey wrote:

One of the things I like about Europe is the old architecture.
Obviously, with the USA & Canada being younger, one will not
see buildings built during the 1700s. That said, what cities in the
USA or Canada will be most like a European city? I would guess
that Montreal would top the list because of the French influence.
Any others?

Philadelphia has a historic center which preserves a lot of 17th century
architecture, including entire streets and neighborhoods. I have been
told by more than one European that it has a "European" feel to it,
right down to the trams.

European cities differ from American cities in more ways than the
architecture. The centers are actually lived in, for one thing.
Manhattan resembles European cities in this sense.

Barbara
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:59 PM
me

"Casey" wrote in message link.net...
One of the things I like about Europe is the old architecture.
Obviously, with the USA & Canada being younger, one will not
see buildings built during the 1700s. That said, what cities in the
USA or Canada will be most like a European city? I would guess
that Montreal would top the list because of the French influence.
Any others?

Tough question. One of the primary differences between large
european cities and US cities is the lack of any monarchy history.
Many of the large, open, urban areas in major european cities have
connections back to the existence of a monarchy to some
extent. Even Italy can trace much of it's structure to
either the old Roman empire, or the church. The one major shining
exception is probably much of Germany. The level of destruction
to much of that country has left it in a condition which probably
compares more directly with many US cities.
Old October 13th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Me

In article . net,
"Casey" wrote:

One of the things I like about Europe is the old architecture.
Obviously, with the USA & Canada being younger, one will not
see buildings built during the 1700s. That said, what cities in the
USA or Canada will be most like a European city? I would guess
that Montreal would top the list because of the French influence.
Any others?

Some parts of Philadelphia remind me of Europe, esp. Society Hill.
Ditto with certain parts of Boston and even New York City.