Alternative to Ship's Amalfi Drive Tour X Amalfi?

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:04 AM
brenda

Default Alternative to Ship's Amalfi Drive Tour X Amalfi?

Have never done this & definitely want to do the Amalfi Drive, but we
hate tours & getting up early. Cost is $175 pp for lunch, so would
appreciate any advice on another way to do this privately for around
$400 (or less!) for the two of us.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
MGOBLUEE2

I don't know when you are planning to travel and whether or not these two
companies are already booked.

Marcelo @ www.seesorrento.com
Salvatore @
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Neil Gillis

"brenda" wrote in message
om...
Have never done this & definitely want to do the Amalfi Drive, but we
hate tours & getting up early. Cost is $175 pp for lunch, so would
appreciate any advice on another way to do this privately for around
$400 (or less!) for the two of us.

Go to http://slowtrav.com/italy/planning/ and look under "Tour Guides"
and "Car Services" for some possibilities

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:08 PM
Mike Quint

Brenda
You didn't say if you were docking in Sorrento or Naples
That cost is very high, If from Sorrento just take the SITA bus from the
train station (Circumvesuviana) to Amalfi and spend as much or as little
time as you want there, You will go through other little towns of Praiano
and Positano that you might want to get off at on the way back. There are
plenty of places for a good lunch in any of these two towns, I like Amalfi
the best. The cost for the bus is just a couple of Euros and the buses are
small and hug the coast, Going to Amalfi make sure you sit on the right
side.
If you dock at Naples then ask the taxi to take you to the Circumvesuviana
train station and take the train to Sorrento (end of the line) you will pass
through Ercolano (Herculaneum) and Pompeii and take the SITA bus from there.
I do not speak Italian yet have no problem doing this. I would rather spend
my money shopping. Olive oil and Limoncello are the best buys in Amalfi,
Rosewood jewelry boxes in Sorrento. Cameos and volcanic ash statues are also
good buys in this area.
http://www.ondaverde.it/sitai.htm

Mike--Onda Verde is Green Wave and a great hotel.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
brenda

"Mike Quint" wrote in message ...
Brenda
You didn't say if you were docking in Sorrento or Naples

Hi - the brochure definitely says docking in Amalfi at 8am / depart
4pm, so???? Thanks all for the info - will check all out.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:54 AM
P. Daniel

Mike has summarized things nicely: it is absurdly cheap to use the
SITA buses to travel up and down the Amalif coast. I too like Amalif
best -- so you may not find a need to venture much farther.

Two items: if actually landing at Amalfi you'll have to decide which
way to go: toward Sorrento or toward Salerno. My vote is Sorrento: a
slightly better drive and a much better final destination.

Another nice, short jump from Amalfi is Ravello (up the cliff).

Enjoy! (Wish I were going... but it's Paris this year for me).

Old May 11th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Cal Ford

Mikes advice is right on. Whether you dock at Amalfi or Tender in you will be
right at the Bus Station. You can take the bus to Sorrento, have a nice lunch
and do some shopping, then catch a bus back to Amalfi with time to stop and
explore Positano and other interesting places. The buses are scheduled every 20
to 30 minutes so there is no problem in that respect.

Don't neglect Amalfi either. Just cross the road and you are in Old Town,
directly in front of the Cathedral. On your left will be some great little
shops. Wine, cheese, chocolate, etc.

Wish we were going with you, but we have to wait till next February.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , brenda says...