Travel (by the road) from New York to Los Angeles

Old January 5th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Aymeric

Default Travel (by the road) from New York to Los Angeles

Hello,
I'm a french student.
For my studies, I must to know speak english perfectly so I decide to go to
the USA.

I will like visit New York and Los Angeles. I thing that travel by the road
from NY to LA will be a good experience for me.

Do you know the price for this travel (about) ?

Thank you and excuse me for my bad english...

Aymeric ODOT

Old January 5th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Peter L

"Aymeric" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm a french student.
For my studies, I must to know speak english perfectly so I decide to go

the USA.

That's your first mistake. You need to go to England instead.

I will like visit New York and Los Angeles. I thing that travel by the

road
from NY to LA will be a good experience for me.

Yes it would be a great experience.

Do you know the price for this travel (about) ?

Depends whether you want to drive the whole way, take the bus, or take the
train. (Or, hitch hike, or bike, or walk.)

Old January 5th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Aymeric" wrote in message
Hello,
I'm a french student.
For my studies, I must to know speak english perfectly so I decide to go

the USA.

I will like visit New York and Los Angeles. I thing that travel by the

road
from NY to LA will be a good experience for me.

Do you know the price for this travel (about) ?

The best option is probably a travelpass with the major bus
company - Greyhound

http://www.greyhound.com/

You can buy one in France from Voyageurs du Monde
and the price for a student pass is

15 days $256
30 days $335
60 days $459

This entitles you to unlimited travel within the USA during
the period the pass is valid

I'd recommend travelling via small towns rather than the big
cities, you'll meet fewer tourists and more locals that way.

Take in a some minor league baseball, high school football
and attend the local dances and you'll meet lots of really
friendly people who'll be glad to help with your English.

Keith

Old January 6th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Miles

Aymeric wrote:

Hello,
I'm a french student.
For my studies, I must to know speak english perfectly so I decide to go to
the USA.

I will like visit New York and Los Angeles. I thing that travel by the road
from NY to LA will be a good experience for me.

Do you know the price for this travel (about) ?

Thank you and excuse me for my bad english...

I assume you mean by bus. You should check with the major bus companies
such as greyhound. It is an experience to travel by bus for that long
of a distance! It will take 3 days, which means sleeping alot on the
bus in a chair rather than a bed. Cost will be between $100USD and
$200USD each way depending on when you want to go.

Old January 6th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Miles

Peter L wrote:
That's your first mistake. You need to go to England instead.

LOL...thats gonna start an argument!! I think us here in the USA
adopted English and then made the necessary corrections to it. We also
got rid of the accent. Well, some of us did. There are some in the
east and southern USA that decided they needed a better (worse) accent! :-)

I kinda like the British accent. It seem more on the friendly side
rather than the NY tough accent. The USA's south accent I just can not
understand very well. I live in the west where there is virtually no
accent at all.

Old January 6th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Eric Holeman

In article s%pKb.423609$J77.262441@fed1read07,
Miles wrote:

understand very well. I live in the west where there is virtually no
accent at all.

Odd. My friend down south claimed he had no accent. So did my friend
from England.

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
Aymeric wrote:

I will like visit New York and Los Angeles. I thing that travel by the road
from NY to LA will be a good experience for me.

If you travel by bus as others have assumed or suggested, you need to be
aware that only the largest cities have good local bus systems. If you
arrive at the Greyhound (long distance) bus station in a smaller city or
town, you may have a real problem getting from there to a hotel, motel or
sightseeing location. In most smaller cities and towns, most motels
(especially the inexpensive ones) are on the outskirts next to the
"Interstate" (motorway), and are difficult or impossible to reach by bus.
You will probably have to use taxis a lot for local transportation.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old January 6th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Doug McClure

I'll try to give you a more serious answer...

If you want to travel between NY and LA, you will be spending most of
your time driving (or being driven), and not spending as much time
meeting with people and practicing your English skills. Maybe if you
are in the car and listening to talk radio, and watching TV at night,
you will learn your English, but you would probably be able to listen
to English-language tapes, movies, TV without leaving France.

So you might want to travel over a smaller distance instead of taking
a 3000 mile drive. There is a lot to do and learn and see between
Boston, NY, Philadelphia, Washington DC, etc. I would recommend
trading travel/driving time for tourist time.

But if are set on going to both LA and NY, you might want to bring a
friend and maybe buy a cheap car. If you do this, two can travel
nearly as cheaply as one, since you would be splitting your gasoline
and lodging costs. Just pledge not to speak French to each other.

I haven't traveled cross-country and though it sounds like fun, it can
also be very tiring. There are plenty of routes across the country,
and only you can decide what you want to visit. I personally would
visit many of the national parks, but there are others who would visit
other parks -- ballparks. Others might visit the great cities, Civil
War battlefields, great museums, or just rock concerts.

I also haven't traveled cross-country by bus or train, but I suspect
they will not give you the freedom and flexibility you would like.
Getting some distance from the bus or train routes can be difficult,
as others have mentioned.

And I believe others have mentioned that good public transportation
isn't universally available. On the east coast, it is pretty good. In
Los Angeles, it is pretty poor and the city is so large that traveling
without a car (or even with a car) can be frustrating.

And I wish my French was as good as your English

DKM

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 23:49:23 +0100, "Aymeric"
wrote:

Hello,
I'm a french student.
For my studies, I must to know speak english perfectly so I decide to go to
the USA.

I will like visit New York and Los Angeles. I thing that travel by the road
from NY to LA will be a good experience for me.

Do you know the price for this travel (about) ?

Thank you and excuse me for my bad english...

Aymeric ODOT

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE KAY EMM AT CEE TEE ESS D0T CEE OH EMM
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Certainty

"Miles" wrote in message

I think us here in the USA
adopted English and then made the necessary corrections to it.

Do these necessary corrections involve your improper use of "us" in this
sentence?

We also
got rid of the accent. Well, some of us did. There are some in the
east and southern USA that decided they needed a better (worse) accent!

:-)

What do accents have to do with anything?

I kinda like the British accent. It seem more on the friendly side
rather than the NY tough accent. The USA's south accent I just can not
understand very well. I live in the west where there is virtually no
accent at all.

Sorry, not true. You speak with a Western U.S. accent.

Old January 6th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Icono Clast

Miles wrote:
Peter L wrote:
That's your first mistake. You need to go to England instead.

Oh, I don't know. Our English can be quite good in spite of the
following narrow-viewed and appalling example of how it ought not be
used.

LOL...thats gonna start an argument!! I think us here in the USA
adopted English and then made the necessary corrections to it. We also
got rid of the accent.

"THE" accent? Haven't you ever seen a British film? Or watched a
British television program?? Or visited the island itself?

Well, some of us did. There are some in the east and southern USA that
decided they needed a better (worse) accent! :-)

This country, fortunately, still has a great many regional accents.
Yes, there are far fewer than there used to be but they still exist.
[Please see "New(!) South" at the site at Right in the sig.]

I kinda like the British accent. It seem more on the friendly side
rather than the NY tough accent.

There are many New York accents. Do you have a particular one in mind?

The USA's south accent I just can not understand very well.

There are many accents in the US South. Do you have a particular one
in mind?

I live in the west where there is virtually no accent at all.

To your ear! There are many accents in the West of the USA. Yours is
just one of them.

Your blatant display of ignorance of our language and the accents
heard when it is spoken is appalling. Get out and get a bit of
education and culture then come back to tell us something we don't
know. It's to learn what they don't know that so many visit this
forum. What you have provided is harm- rather than help-ful.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net