Wagon?

Old January 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Mark Hewitt

Default Wagon?

A few times on car hire sites even for UK destinations I've seen the term
"Wagon" to describe a type of car. I know cars in the UK quite well but
never seen one termed as a wagon. In fact wagon is usually used as the same
as lorry, truck, or other heavy goods vehicle.

Can anyone tell me what sort of car they mean?

Cheers!

Old January 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Thomas Goodwin

Mark Hewitt wrote:
A few times on car hire sites even for UK destinations I've seen the term
"Wagon" to describe a type of car. I know cars in the UK quite well but
never seen one termed as a wagon. In fact wagon is usually used as the same
as lorry, truck, or other heavy goods vehicle.

Can anyone tell me what sort of car they mean?

Cheers!

Go the Google Images and type "station wagon" --- you'll
see a bunch of them!

Old January 6th, 2004, 02:27 PM
JamesStep

I've seen the term "Wagon" to describe a type of car.
...Can anyone tell me what sort of car they mean?

They are probably referring to a station wagon, which
is a car which has a squared-off rear end with a tailgate
(instead of a trunk) and a 3rd row bench seat in
the back which can be folded down to give you
more storage space.

Station wagons used to be popular with families as they
gave more seating space for large families, and if the
3rd row seat was folded down you had lots of storage
space for groceries, etc. However they seem to be much
less popular these days; I think they've largely been
replaced by SUVs.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Steve

SUV = station wagon with larger ground clearance and 4 wheel drive. They may
call it a truck, but I know a station wagon when I see one ;-)

Old January 6th, 2004, 06:41 PM
alohacyberian

"Steve" wrote in message
SUV = station wagon with larger ground clearance and 4 wheel drive. They

may
call it a truck, but I know a station wagon when I see one ;-)

Actually, originally SUVs (Sports Utility Vehicles - Americans love anything
with the word "sport" in it) weren't even called SUVs and were technically
trucks or hybrid jeeps and were the original Land Rovers, Toyota Land
Cruisers, Willys Overland, International Harvester Scout and some of the
newer upstarts were Ford Bronco and Chevrolet Blazers. They were based on
truck frames and suspensions and had higher ground clearance than cars. Then
there were the SUV wannabes like Subaru that were really only 4WD station
wagons with car-like ground clearance. Then came what they called the
"crossover" SUVs which are SUVs built on car or van platforms, such as the
Toyota Highlander (Camry Platform), Nissan Murano (Maxima), Honda CRV
(Civic), Honda Pilot, MDX and in North America Acura MDX (Odyssey), etc. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old January 6th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Richard

On 6 Jan 2004 17:20:03 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

(JamesStep) wrote in
:

Station wagons used to be popular with families as they
gave more seating space for large families, and if the
3rd row seat was folded down you had lots of storage
space for groceries, etc. However they seem to be much
less popular these days; I think they've largely been
replaced by SUVs.

This is wandering a bit far afield for a "travel" newsgroup, but ...

The "station wagon" has been rediscovered and most non-US
manufacturers have them, although they're smaller than the old land
yachts you're describing. Just two rows of seating, but the back
seats still usually fold down. They appeal to people who don't want
an SUV or a minivan, but still need to haul stuff around.

I have VW Passat wagon, which is essentially similar to those
marketed by Volvo, BMW, Audi, Saab etc.

Ford (Focus and Taurus) and Saturn both do station wagons so it isn't
just the non-US guys these days.

Old January 6th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Richard

On 6 Jan 2004 14:35:18 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

(Mark Hewitt) wrote in
:

Can anyone tell me what sort of car they mean?

Station wagon, which I thought you folks knew by the name "estate
wagon".

In the U.K. it is simply known as an 'Estate Car'

Old January 7th, 2004, 12:35 AM
bob

"Estate car"

--