Moonsoons

Old December 2nd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Allan Spatz

Default Moonsoons

My wife and I are considering going to southeast Asia in May or June. I have
read that is is the moonsoon season. I would appreciate anyone who has been
to this region in May, June or July to explain exactly what I can expect.
What exactly is meant by monsoon.

Thanks,
Allan

Old December 2nd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Per Löwdin

I would appreciate anyone who has been
to this region in May, June or July to explain exactly what I can expect.

Expect rain on the west coast of Malaysia and Thailand, fine weather on the
east side, we have been quite a few times and rather enjoy it.

What exactly is meant by monsoon.

Rain season.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Per Löwdin" wrote in message
I would appreciate anyone who has been
to this region in May, June or July to explain exactly what I can

expect.

Expect rain on the west coast of Malaysia and Thailand, fine weather on

the
east side, we have been quite a few times and rather enjoy it.

What exactly is meant by monsoon.

Rain season.

Well..... Dry and rainy season actually. Monsoon is a system of currents of
air in which two [large] regions (marine and continental) are in a
relationship by relatively higher/lower air pressure. At certain period of
time (winter) high pressured air masses of the Asian continent (arctic dry)
flows in south west direction. In summer the scheme is the opposite.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:31 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Allan Spatz" wrote in message
My wife and I are considering going to southeast Asia in May or June. I

have
read that is is the moonsoon season. I would appreciate anyone who has

been
to this region in May, June or July to explain exactly what I can expect.
What exactly is meant by monsoon.

Most of South and South East (and a great deal of East) Asia is affected of
moisture winds, which have their origins on the Indian Ocean and hence gives
lots of rains throughout the continent - especially on the western sides of
mountain ranges. So, the monsoon region is HUGE. It develops from east to
west. Regional variation is enormous. For instance the city of Bombay gets
few drops of rain during May and some 600mm in the following month.
Typically the contrast in one place is not this notable. For instance in
central and south central Vietnam there are coastal regions which are hiding
between the South China Sea and eastern slopes of fairly high mountain range
(the full brunt of rains falls on the western slopes) giving perhaps some
30-50mm of rain in June while a couple of hundred kilometers north and south
typical averages are around 200-300mm.

Personally I don't give much of thought on monsoon.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:08 AM
Philip Allum

Default Monsoons

From May to October, (it varies a bit according to how far North or
South you are) the SW monsoon blows from the Southwest, picking up
moisture from the whole width of the Indian Ocean. This means that the
West facing coasts, (Thailand's Andaman Sea, Myanmar, West Malaysia,)
are subjected to strong, wet onshore winds which make West facing
beaches uncomfortable to downright dangerous. Also, because there are
mountains or high hills behind the coast, forcing the incoming air up
and cooling it, it dumps its moisture in the form of heavy rain. The
lee side of these hills (the Gulf of Siam) is comparatively dry.
November to April, during the NE monsoon, the situation is reversed with
rain to the East of the hills and drier conditions to the West.

Further East, typhoons in the South China Sea add a little more spice to
the SW monsoon season.

In message , mush97
writes

--
Philip Allum
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Philip Allum" wrote in message
From May to October, (it varies a bit according to how far North or
South you are) the SW monsoon blows from the Southwest, picking up
moisture from the whole width of the Indian Ocean. This means that the
West facing coasts, (Thailand's Andaman Sea, Myanmar, West Malaysia,)
are subjected to strong, wet onshore winds which make West facing
beaches uncomfortable to downright dangerous. Also, because there are
mountains or high hills behind the coast, forcing the incoming air up
and cooling it, it dumps its moisture in the form of heavy rain. The
lee side of these hills (the Gulf of Siam) is comparatively dry.
November to April, during the NE monsoon, the situation is reversed with
rain to the East of the hills and drier conditions to the West.

And in much of Indonesia this period is the dry season.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
Philip Allum

In message , Markku Grönroos
writes

"Philip Allum" wrote in message
From May to October, (it varies a bit according to how far North or
South you are) the SW monsoon blows from the Southwest, picking up
moisture from the whole width of the Indian Ocean. This means that the
West facing coasts, (Thailand's Andaman Sea, Myanmar, West Malaysia,)
are subjected to strong, wet onshore winds which make West facing
beaches uncomfortable to downright dangerous. Also, because there are
mountains or high hills behind the coast, forcing the incoming air up
and cooling it, it dumps its moisture in the form of heavy rain. The
lee side of these hills (the Gulf of Siam) is comparatively dry.
November to April, during the NE monsoon, the situation is reversed with
rain to the East of the hills and drier conditions to the West.

And in much of Indonesia this period is the dry season.

Yep. Look at an atlas and you can see why.

--
Philip Allum