PASSPORTS????

Old December 4th, 2007, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
chatty cathy

Default PASSPORTS????

where would be the cheapest place for me to get a passport for me and my
husband..?
what do i need to get one? This will be my first time getting one so i
have no idea what to expect. Are they expensive?
HOw long are they good for?
when using a passport do you need to bring your birth certificate
too?
thanks all for your help
chatty cathy

Old December 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jaap van Dorp

At your local post office, yes you need birth certificates, and price is
pretty much standard as it is a US government issued item.
Don't wait for sales coupons in your newspaper cause there won't be any.

Jaap

Old December 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
(chatty cathy) wrote:

where would be the cheapest place for me to get a passport for me and my
husband..?
what do i need to get one? This will be my first time getting one so i
have no idea what to expect. Are they expensive?
HOw long are they good for?
when using a passport do you need to bring your birth certificate
too?
thanks all for your help
chatty cathy

Everything you will need to know and then some:
http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

This is the official site and it does have all the information you need.

You can go to your nearest passport office or a local post office that
does passports. As far as cost, that is set by the government, so there
is no "cheapest" place to get one. One word of advice is to make sure
your birth certificate has the raised seal on it.

Another quick thought, here in NJ there are local County Stores that
process passports, there might be something similar where you live.

sue
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

You can go to your nearest passport office or a local post office that
does passports. As far as cost, that is set by the government, so there
is no "cheapest" place to get one. One word of advice is to make sure
your birth certificate has the raised seal on it.

But there are more expensive WAYS to get them. Unless time concerns,
I would probably not bother with priority shipping or other add ons.
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

You can go to your nearest passport office or a local post office that
does passports. As far as cost, that is set by the government, so there
is no "cheapest" place to get one. One word of advice is to make sure
your birth certificate has the raised seal on it.

But there are more expensive WAYS to get them. Unless time concerns,
I would probably not bother with priority shipping or other add ons.

I looked at her cruise date and saw that expedited service isn't needed.
The only other way of spending more for a passport would be to use
some type of service that would handle it for you and charge you for
this service. If she follows the advice given here, she would not be
dealing with one of these services.

sue
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RsH

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:22:36 -0700, (chatty cathy)
wrote:

You do not bother with the nation you live in, so it may be different
from then information below, BUT I have covered both the U.S. and
Canada. The U.K, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Hong Kong and
other places where English is used and the name Cathy are common have
different fees and rules.

where would be the cheapest place for me to get a passport for me and my
husband..?

US - See answers already given by others.

Canada - Passport office is the quickest, but if you live where there
isn't one, Canada Post will work too...

See
http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx?lang=e for the English page. It
takes 2 weeks plus delivery time if you go in person to a Passport
Office.

what do i need to get one? This will be my first time getting one so i
have no idea what to expect. Are they expensive?

The government sets the price, in EVERY country. Check on the
government web site for your country.

In Toronto, the U.S. Consulate does passports and insists on your
payment for a FedEx delivery of the finished passport - you can NOT
pick up the finished passport from the consulate. It takes about 1-2
weeks from the day you are processed for the passport at the U.S.
Consulate for it to arrive via FedEx.

HOw long are they good for?

U.S. - 10 years
Canada - 5 years

when using a passport do you need to bring your birth certificate
too?

When getting the FIRST passport you do need your birth certificate,
with a proper seal on it from the place of birth, OR proof of your
citizenship in the country, if a naturalized citizen.

When using a passport you do NOT need to bring along your birth
certificate.

After the first passport, as long as you do not use one that has
expired more than 6 months before the date, you can use the old
passport as proof of who you are and do not need the birth certificate
for the renewal process.

A photo ID in addition to the passport is a good idea for your travel
purposes as well, as in some places they will ask for BOTH, or just
the photo ID and NOT the passport. Your milage will vary.

thanks all for your help
chatty cathy

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
james hunt

You will need two photos to submit with your passport application. Make
sure the photographer is qualified to do them as if they arte the wrong
size they will be rejected. Since this is your first passport I suggest
you allow at least six months to get it processed.

Old December 4th, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

james hunt wrote:
You will need two photos to submit with your passport application. Make
sure the photographer is qualified to do them as if they arte the wrong
size they will be rejected.

There will be information on the website posted, about where to get the
photos taken.

Since this is your first passport I suggest
you allow at least six months to get it processed.

The backlog seems to be over and from what I have been reading, turn
around time is back to normal. Just checked the website and they say 4
to 6 weeks. The OP isn't cruising untill August, so applying now they
should not have any problems.

sue