? Does Club Med Cancun require snorkel vests

Old January 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Mike H

Default ? Does Club Med Cancun require snorkel vests

The last 2 times my wife and I went to Cancun Club Med, including
this past spring, we took our own equipment and snorkeled at both
the end of the reef by the LaPalapa and the other end, where the
CM snorkel shack is located, and no one asked us to put on a
vest. I suspect that if you have your own gear, they probably leave
alone. They might insist on a vest if you join in on one of the
occasional 'guided tours'.

Mike

Old January 19th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Steven Goodman

Mike H wrote:
The last 2 times my wife and I went to Cancun Club Med, including
this past spring, we took our own equipment and snorkeled at both
the end of the reef by the LaPalapa and the other end, where the
CM snorkel shack is located, and no one asked us to put on a
vest. I suspect that if you have your own gear, they probably leave
alone. They might insist on a vest if you join in on one of the
occasional 'guided tours'.

Mike

Since all the beaches in Mexico are public, and the public do
occasionally dive in the area near the CM snorkle shack, and CM can't
make the public wear a snorkle vest; then my non-existent legal training
would deduce that CM can't make you wear a snorkle vest either, unless
you are using their equipment.

Unless CM buried some legal restriction hidden in the fine print of the
agreement you make by staying at CM. Even then, they aren't likely to
throw you out of the village!

However, there may be a Mexican law requiring vests in the marine park;
although I have never seen patrols in the area by the CM snorkle shack.
And there are often people from outside of CM there without vests.

Steven Goodman