Mosquitoes in Italy

Old June 1st, 2015, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Mosquitoes in Italy

Back years ago, one of the regular posters to a.t.e complained several
times about mosquitoes in Milan. I believe he was an Aussie who lived
there several years?

Been to different parts of Italy several times, though mostly in May and
early June.

Never encountered any problems with mosquitoes. Maybe a bite here or
there. Once in Venice, the place I stayed had those plug-in bug zappers
of some kind in the rooms.

But it was never the scourge that he made it sound like.

Is it worse in July and August?

Anyways, a place I booked in Pisa for an upcoming trip lists under
"Services" mosquito nets in all rooms.

It's kind of close to the Arno but really more the city center, chosen
for a one-night stay because of proximity to the train station than
anything else.

This would be the first time I encounter mosquito nets in ... well
anywhere. Made me think of those posts.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Mon, 01 Jun 2015 14:34:08 -0700 schrieb poldy:

Back years ago, one of the regular posters to a.t.e complained several
times about mosquitoes in Milan. I believe he was an Aussie who lived
there several years?

Been to different parts of Italy several times, though mostly in May and
early June.

Never encountered any problems with mosquitoes. Maybe a bite here or
there. Once in Venice, the place I stayed had those plug-in bug zappers
of some kind in the rooms.

But it was never the scourge that he made it sound like.

Been to Italy a few times, but never found mosquitos a problem.

Is it worse in July and August?

Anyways, a place I booked in Pisa for an upcoming trip lists under
"Services" mosquito nets in all rooms.

Sounds strange anyway, I never encountered something like this in Italy.

Only thing you should avoid is to switch the lights on in the night when
the windows are open, tht will attract all kinds of mosquitos and bugs.

So for that sometimes you will find windows with insect screens.

But actual mosquito-nets I never seen in Europe, just know that from Asia
and South America.

Regards,

Frank
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:34:13 PM UTC+1, poldy wrote:
[...]

Same here, never a problem in Italy, and we've often visited the outlying marshy Venetian islands, too.
Was surprised some years ago when we had to have malaria tablets for Turkey (Side)! But never a bite.
And malaria tablets were obviously a must for my trips to Nigeria - but never a bite there either!
We did suffer badly years back in Rafina, near Athens, so it's not as if I have any particular immunity!
Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 06/01/2015 11:34 PM, poldy wrote:
[...]

Some years back I was with a group in the Toscana, and one guy got
bitten by something that he must have been allergic to. He had blisters
on his ankles the size of golf balls, we had to take him to hospital.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Tue, 2 Jun 2015 02:10:16 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Surreyman:

Same here, never a problem in Italy, and we've often visited the outlying marshy Venetian islands, too.
Was surprised some years ago when we had to have malaria tablets for Turkey (Side)! But never a bite.

We've been to Side a few years ago, bu didn't need any Malaria-prophylaxis.
I also can't recall getting bitten there. But I went in October, maybe it's
worse in summer.

Regards,

Frank
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Was surprised some years ago when we had to have malaria tablets
for Turkey (Side)! But never a bite.

We've been to Side a few years ago, but didn't need any Malaria-
prophylaxis.
I also can't recall getting bitten there. But I went in October,
maybe it's worse in summer.

Malaria control in Turkey seems to have worked, the eastern
Mediterranean coast (Adana to Antakya, at least) was certainly
classed as a malaria risk a few years ago. It's going to be
difficult for them to do any better, with America's proxy war
making it impossible for the Syrian government to conduct any
public health campaigns.

The worst mosquito infestation I have ever encountered was at
Yusufeli in north-east Turkey. The whole area was irrigated
and the little *******s bred in the channels. Which were
populated by frogs feeding on them. At night the noise of
fat, happy well-fed frogs was like planes taking off at an
airport. No malaria risk though.

Old June 4th, 2015, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 10:47:42 AM UTC+1, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 02:10:16 -0700 (PDT), Surreyman
wrote:

[...]

We never had to use malaria tablets in Side. Who told you that you needed them?

There's the remains of a Roman port north east of Antalya, which the Romans
abandoned, because of the problem of mosquitoes. The Romans have long gone but
the mosquitoes were still there.

But never a bite.
And malaria tablets were obviously a must for my trips to Nigeria - but never a bite there either!
We did suffer badly years back in Rafina, near Athens, so it's not as if I have any particular immunity!

It's safer to use 55% DEET based insect repellant than malaria tablets.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

This was some 15+ years back, apparently the whole coast is mosquito marsh. Maybe the regulations have now changed? Took us by surprise! The rest of Turkey was OK.
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Was surprised some years ago when we had to have malaria tablets
for Turkey (Side)!
We never had to use malaria tablets in Side. Who told you that
you needed them?

This was some 15+ years back, apparently the whole coast is mosquito
marsh. Maybe the regulations have now changed? Took us by surprise!

The regulations changed because the incidence of malaria changed.

The rest of Turkey was OK.

No it wasn't - the area around Diyarbakir, Urfa and Mardin had it worse.

It is 28 years since I first went to Side. Most of the coast between
Antalya and Side was sand dunes, very much like the Dutch coast. It
is 10 years since I was last in Side.

Malaria was almost eradicated in Turkey by 1971. Then an irrigation
scheme near Adana brought about an epidemic in 1977. This was getting
under control when there was a big flare-up in around 1993, as a result
of America destroying Iraq, but further east, where the refugees went.
This was controlled successfully; by 2011 there were only 4 indigenous
cases in the whole of Turkey. This comes from a WHO report and I don't
know what's happened since. The consequences of the West destroying
Syria are unlikely to be good.

Old June 23rd, 2015, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

On 6/2/15 1:56 AM, Martin wrote:
Never encountered any problems with mosquitoes. Maybe a bite here or
there. Once in Venice, the place I stayed had those plug-in bug zappers
of some kind in the rooms.

But it was never the scourge that he made it sound like.

Been to Italy a few times, but never found mosquitos a problem.

Like DFM said, they can be in Milan.

Is it worse in July and August?

Yes.

Anyways, a place I booked in Pisa for an upcoming trip lists under
"Services" mosquito nets in all rooms.

Sounds strange anyway, I never encountered something like this in Italy.

Only thing you should avoid is to switch the lights on in the night when
the windows are open, tht will attract all kinds of mosquitos and bugs.

The hotel I used to stay in north of Turin had mosquito netting on the windows.

Just got back from a week in Sardinia followed by a week in Monterosso.

Temperatures in Sardinia were often 30 degrees Celsius and above though
it clouded over in the afternoons almost every day, bringing some cool
breezes.

No mosquito problems, though one of the places I stayed had those plug
in bug zappers, which wasn't plugged in.

It was cooler in the Cinque Terre, no issues there with mosquitoes
though I'd see some huge horseflies? Big black bodied things.

It's strange the B&B in Pisa was on the 6th floor (or 7th in the US) so
you wouldn't think mosquitoes would be a problem. Plus it was pretty
far from the river, which didn't look like it would be a big source of
mosquitoes anyways.

Well had to stay in Pisa at least once, there were some nice parts
beyond the Campo dei Miracoli, including the Piazza dei Cavalieri and
parts of the Corso Italia.
Old June 24th, 2015, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Anyways, a place I booked in Pisa for an upcoming trip lists under
"Services" mosquito nets in all rooms.

It's strange the B&B in Pisa was on the 6th floor (or 7th in the US) so
you wouldn't think mosquitoes would be a problem. Plus it was pretty
far from the river, which didn't look like it would be a big source of
mosquitoes anyways.

Mosquitoes seem to like getting higher than you'd think possible and
in the most unexpected places. I spent half the night splatting them
with a towel in an upper-floor room of a modern hotel in Grenoble.
And the most heavily screened place I've ever seen, for good reason,
was the lodge near the summit of Mount Nemrut in Turkey (the one with
the statues) - that was around 2000 metres up with no visible surface
water for miles. Down on the plain in Malatya and Urfa, no screens
and not a mosquito in sight, though the river in Urfa is a sluggish
muddy trickle you'd expect to breed them in billions.