Maritime Provinces in July

Old April 18th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Gene Brabston

Default Maritime Provinces in July

Our family of four has two weeks set aside in mid July. We are planning a
trip to the Canadian Maritime provinces.
We plan to fly to a central US city, rent a car, and tour the provinces by
vehicle. Would Portland, Maine be a good place to
start from? What should our itinerary be? Is two weeks too much or too
little time???

thanks,

gene brabston

Old April 18th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Portland would be a good place to start a visit to Eastern Canada but
certainly isn't central US. You can see a good bit in two weeks but
probably not Labrador. I'm taking 9 days for part of Nova Scotia. FFM

Old April 19th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Brian K

On 04/18/2004 8:01 AM Gene Brabston wrote:

Our family of four has two weeks set aside in mid July. We are planning a
trip to the Canadian Maritime provinces.
We plan to fly to a central US city, rent a car, and tour the provinces by
vehicle. Would Portland, Maine be a good place to
start from? What should our itinerary be? Is two weeks too much or too
little time???

thanks,

gene brabston

I don't know if this would be in your budget or interest. I thought I
would mention it as an option. Holland America is offering a New
England and Canadian Maritime Provences Cruise at a reduced rate. To me
a vacation is where I spend the least amount of time driving and the
most amount of time enjoying myself and the sights. You don't have to
be concerned with finding a hotel because you've suddenly realized that
a distance is further than it looked on the map and you need to turn
in. Your hotel travels with you. You unpack once and pack once when
the ship is headed to the home port. http://www.hollandamerica.com/

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old April 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM
ncurtis

"Gene Brabston" wrote in message news:L6ugc.19476$0b4.25317@attbi_s51...
Our family of four has two weeks set aside in mid July. We are planning a
trip to the Canadian Maritime provinces.
We plan to fly to a central US city, rent a car, and tour the provinces by
vehicle. Would Portland, Maine be a good place to
start from?

Why start in Maine? The only reasons I can think of are kind of
wierd--your automobile insurer won't cover you in Canada (dump them if
that's the case!), you *really* like driving and you want to spend
hours doing it to get from Portland to the NB border, you're
hopelessly in love with long-distance ferry rides, you're trying to
rack up your lifetime quota of border crossings by car... Fly to
Halifax (YHZ) instead, rent the car there.

What should our itinerary be? Is two weeks too much or too
little time???

If you're highly familiar (or jaded) with coastal New England, focus
on Newfoundland--the other provinces would seem a little too "same old
same old with loonies and the metric system." If you're not a veteran
of lots of travel in the neighboring part of the U.S., 2 weeks means
carefully picking and choosing. What to pick and choose depends on
your interests--what are they?

Nancy
Old April 19th, 2004, 02:48 PM
gman99

"Gene Brabston" wrote:
Our family of four has two weeks set aside in mid July. We are planning a
trip to the Canadian Maritime provinces.
We plan to fly to a central US city, rent a car, and tour the provinces
by vehicle. Would Portland, Maine be a good place to
start from? What should our itinerary be? Is two weeks too much or too
little time???

A lot of car rental companies won't let you cross the border anymore.
You're better off flying into Halifax and renting a car at the
airport...pay for it in Canadian dollars (cheaper). From Halifax the Cabot
Trail (Cape Breton) is a must see. Are you interested in historical /
cultural sites ? There's plenty to see.
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Bill Hilton

"Gene Brabston" wrote:

Our family of four has two weeks set aside in mid July. We are planning a
trip to the Canadian Maritime provinces.
We plan to fly to a central US city, rent a car, and tour the provinces
by vehicle. Would Portland, Maine be a good place to
start from?

We did something similar last June, flying into Portland and renting a car and
driving to NB and NS. Portland is about the right size, rental cars right
across the terminal, prices were pretty good, freeway was right there so easy
to get started. Only thing I'd mention is that our flight into Portland (from
a Continental connection in Newark) was on a smaller jet with limited carry-on
space so some people had to check bags at the counter.

No problems crossing into Canada with a rental car, despite what others have
said (check with the car company in advance but none we've used seem to view
this as a problem).

I'd recommend the scenic route up through Maine, on the coast. Takes longer
but several lovely towns on the way and the Acadia/Bar Harbor area was worth
seeing.

Have fun.

Bill

Old April 19th, 2004, 06:33 PM
gman99

No problems crossing into Canada with a rental car, despite what others
have said (check with the car company in advance but none we've used seem
to view this as a problem).

There's no problem with the border, they don;t care. It's the rental
company that cares. There's only one rental company in NB that will allow
you to take a car into the US..why, I'm not sure.