Paris the world's choice for the 2012 Olympics

Old June 4th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Earl Evleth

On 4/06/05 3:07, in article ,
"Charles Hawtrey" wrote:

As opposed to the dazzling inventiveness and originality of someone who
copies and pastes news stories into Usenet posts..?

Pretty much, it depends on the response to a posting. For instance,
this particular posting sequence "Paris the world's choice for the 2012
Olympics" has 30 hits, a mild yield but it will only be super topical
in a month when the decision is made. When the actual decision
is published, I might post that news item.

So the inventiveness and originality comes partly from posting
a subject which will get other people posting. I am what I call
mainly a "primary poster", most people are "reactive".

The other issue is whether a primary post is particularly useful
to most or is merely entertainment directed?

I had a conversation with the desk editor of the International
Herald Tribune years ago. He said that only about 1% of the stuff
which comes over the wires ends up in the paper, his work is
selecting items. He had to select items which mostly
attracted readers but always in the back of his mind was the
idea of informing them on important issues. It is a really successful
article which can do both.

I think the information that Paris is the primary world's choice for the
Olympics interesting and the kind of information which you might not
normally get. Whether it was interesting to you or not is another matter
but to some it was.

Earl

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Mxsmanic

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco
writes:

It's not bogus. What the hell do you know about it?

I see a lot of people losing time and money whenever the Olympics come
to town. A few people get rich, everyone else suffers (including, in
many cases, the taxpayers).

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Mxsmanic

Go Fig writes:

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

So why aren't people rushing to Athens?

Besides, Paris is _already_ the number-one destination city for tourists
in the world. There's no rank higher than number one.

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Mxsmanic

Go Fig writes:

How would you rate Los Angeles, seen daily in movies and TV around the
entire world, for benefiting from additional exposure compared to
London or Paris ?

It wasn't a benefit for Los Angeles, either.

They will tell you corporations will underwrite much of the predicted
costs, their are rumors a sports franchise will move because of your
new stadium and your entire downtown will be gentrified by private
investment to boot... but history shows its the taxpayers that will
carry the load... let those local taxpayers vote on it.

They normally aren't allowed to vote on it, since they usually say no.

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Mxsmanic

nitram writes:

Why don't you move there?

Because it's a perfect place for the Olympics, and thus a bad place to
live.

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:49 AM

writes:

It's not bogus. What the hell do you know about it?

I see a lot of people losing time and money whenever the Olympics come
to town. A few people get rich, everyone else suffers (including, in
many cases, the taxpayers).

You didn't answer the question.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Go Fig

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Go Fig writes:

This is how it works in practise, first comes the appeal to 'civic
pride' then it's the 'needed' gentrification... a new roadway, new
airport, new subway... then its the stadiums and all they bring and
finally they float the idea that people when be coming to your city for
the next 20 years because of what they saw "Games".

So why aren't people rushing to Athens?

They "float" the idea, just like all the other merits never to be
achieved or at a huge cost overruns.

Besides, Paris is _already_ the number-one destination city for tourists
in the world. There's no rank higher than number one.

So you think the http://www.franceguide.com/prehome.asp should shut
down ? You think hoteliers don't want more tourists ?

jay
Sat Jun 04, 2005

Old June 4th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Go Fig

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

Go Fig writes:

How would you rate Los Angeles, seen daily in movies and TV around the
entire world, for benefiting from additional exposure compared to
London or Paris ?

It wasn't a benefit for Los Angeles, either.

For lack of a better word, it comes down to the 'prestige' of being a
Host City... being in the club.

jay
Sat Jun 04, 2005