Coping With Child's Tantrum on Plane

Old January 26th, 2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Default Coping With Child's Tantrum on Plane

Hatunen writes:

You've been watching them all their lives? What are you? A
pedophile?

Following your logic, all parents are pedophiles.

Old January 26th, 2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 23:34:49 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hatunen writes:

You've been watching them all their lives? What are you? A
pedophile?

Following your logic, all parents are pedophiles.

They're not watching other's children all the time.

I said:

There are very few children who haven't thrown a tantrum at some
time in their early lives.

You said:

I must be very lucky, because I've encountered quite a few.

In other words, you have encountered quite a few children who
have never thrown a tantrum This indicates a surprising
omniscience regarding children not yours.

Old January 27th, 2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:26:31 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Hm. Does the FAA have some sort of statistics on children who
survived airliner crashes because they were sitting in their own
car seat? In fact, are there any children at all who have
survived airliner crashes while sitting in their own car seats?

I remember reading about a crash a number of years ago in, I believe,
Omaha. One of the worst stories was that of a small child who flew
through the air and was killed.
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:26:18 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

They've had years to do that. The child's first time on an aircraft
is not the time to start.

Our daughter was 3 months old when she flew for the first time. We
didn't do too much to prepare her at that point. G
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 07:42:18 -0500, Nobody wrote:

As a nearby passenger, you think it is easy to control the kid: handcuff
him to the seat and duct tape his mouth. But for the parent, they need to
find a proper way to get the kid to behave and this is often not obvious if
the kid doesn't respond to verbal commands from parents. And remember that
parents can't start to shout to the kid or worse, hit him , in front or all
those other passengers.

A three year old child is small and can be put into the car seat and
strapped in. The kid may cry and scream but it's not up and around.

I heard just the end of something on the radio and I'm not sure if
it's correct. The story was that the child had recently had ear
surgery. If so, it probably wasn't the best time to fly unless there
was some sort of emergency which i haven't read about.
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
ant[_15_]

Bogart wrote:
sigh those long haul flights where a baby starts screaming. Not
content with merely disturbing neighbouring passengers, the adoring
parent (for some reason it's usually the father) decides he has to
take the shrieking brat for a leisurely stroll along the length of the
cabin so that *everyone* on the flight can admire the lung development
of the little horror.

Yep, exactly! I always grimly hope that they perambulate through business
and first, too. so thye'll be tackled and bashed up by the flight
attendants.

WTF are those parents thinking? Share the misery? *******s.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old January 27th, 2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
nobody[_1_]

ant wrote:
WTF are those parents thinking? Share the misery? *******s.

No all babies/kids are alike. And they do not have a on/off or a "snooze
for 10 hours" switch to make their stop.

Yes, it is easy for a passenger,s point of view to criticise a crying baby
and his/her apparently incompetant parents who are unable to quiet the baby
and appear to be making strange/stupid moves through the cabin.

Some babies/kids are easier to control than others. Some parents have more
experience than others. And those who haven't yet found the way to quiet
their child are still experimenting with various ways and they appear to be
clueless/stupid/silly to others.

Hint: if it were so easy to get a kid into "snooze" mode to be quiet for a
while, flight attendants would show up next to some screaming kid, perform
some magic incantation they learned during FA training and the kid would
shut up, stop being agitated and be quiet. Some tricks you learned with
your own kid may or may not work on other kids.

Old January 27th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mxsmanic

Nobody writes:

No all babies/kids are alike. And they do not have a on/off or a "snooze
for 10 hours" switch to make their stop.

True. Bad behavior runs in families.

Yes, it is easy for a passenger,s point of view to criticise a crying baby
and his/her apparently incompetant parents who are unable to quiet the baby
and appear to be making strange/stupid moves through the cabin.

Parents are passengers, too, and many passengers are parents. You're
making a specious distinction between the two.

Some babies/kids are easier to control than others. Some parents have more
experience than others. And those who haven't yet found the way to quiet
their child are still experimenting with various ways and they appear to be
clueless/stupid/silly to others.

Many of them _are_ stupid. It runs in families.

Hint: if it were so easy to get a kid into "snooze" mode to be quiet for a
while, flight attendants would show up next to some screaming kid, perform
some magic incantation they learned during FA training and the kid would
shut up, stop being agitated and be quiet. Some tricks you learned with
your own kid may or may not work on other kids.

Benadryl works on all kids. So does proper parenting, but many
parents are incompetent.

Old January 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
Bogart wrote:

On 25 Jan 2007 20:45:10 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

sigh those long haul flights where a baby starts screaming. Not
content with merely disturbing neighbouring passengers, the adoring
parent (for some reason it's usually the father) decides he has to
take the shrieking brat for a leisurely stroll along the length of the
cabin so that *everyone* on the flight can admire the lung development
of the little horror.

That's why I bring an iPod and a good pair of head phones with me when I
travel.
Old January 27th, 2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

"Brian" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:26:31 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Hm. Does the FAA have some sort of statistics on children who
survived airliner crashes because they were sitting in their own
car seat? In fact, are there any children at all who have
survived airliner crashes while sitting in their own car seats?

I remember reading about a crash a number of years ago in, I believe,
Omaha. One of the worst stories was that of a small child who flew
through the air and was killed.

I think you're thinking of United 292 which crashed at Sioux City, Iowa.
But as to your main comments, airline crew members call lap babies
"missiles." I would never hold a kid in my lap; when they were small enough
to travel "free," I always bought a seat for them and strapped them in
(using a child-seat). It is much safer.