Crete May 2010

Old June 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

Default Crete May 2010

For a while, what with between the strikes and the ash cloud, we
wondered if we'd ever get there. On arrival at Heraklion Airport we
stepped of the plane and there was another nearby. It was somewhat
windy, blustery, but the heat was like being passing between two,
closely parked, very warmed up trucks. I thought it was the planes'
heat. But it wasn't. I learnt later that it's a wind locally referred
to as Gaddafi's wrath, or his revenge, or some flaming thing or other.
It was lovely heat, but right then it was definitely mixed with scent
d' aviation fuel.

As we drove away from the airport I noticed what looked like a
gigantic dirty, scattered, semi-disorganised slum. Romany Gipsies
apparently. There must be thousands upon thousands of them and they
make the place look very trashed.

further down the road, long after the temporary dwellings and
makeshift tents were out of site, there was the evidence of fly-
tipping, what looked like bombed out houses, or derelict at the very
least and the whole impression was one of a lazy, dirty, slovenly
people, who tear the guts out of the countryside and then just
couldn't be arsed...

It is an entirely false impression, but it lays a powerful veneer on
one's first impressions;
The main route heading west now hugs the rocky coastal areas. This is
eminently wise, as it doesn't waste valuable fertile land, but such
is the impression of , well, stagnated poverty, that the very plants
themselves, seeking to etch out an existence between the rocks and
looking not unlike inspirations for prized Japanese works of art, or
Chinese tableware design, end up echoing in depression, rather than
offering glimpses of beauty

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=e7h1ja&s=6

Whereas more inland there is plenty evidence of the populations
character of productivity and love for their land.
Such as this little montage (using paintshop pro)

Apart from that, there does seem to be a little bit of a problem with
strewn shopping bags.
They're al over the country side and, well, the only place I didn't
see much of them was on the beaches themselves.
Shops there provide customers with plastic bags.
Not being in that sort of environment for quite some time, I had
forgotten how being giving all your goodies (or just the one) in a
plastic shopping bag is a bit like paying for them, but somehow the
shop assistant is giving you a little present.

One the one hand Cretens need to give this problem some serious
consideration because it is a bit of a problem. Perhaps they have but
are keeping with them for commercial, tourist-linked reasons. I guess
they'd fear losing sales to tourists who, in the absence of handy
shops' bags won't buy if they haven't travelled with a handy shopping
carrier sack of their own. But my wife does.
Overall, nice place. (setting aside the holiday club touts' scams)
Would go again.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

sorry, forgot link. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=f2b8x&s=6