Pearson Airport-Downtown Options?

Old March 16th, 2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Skookum

Default Pearson Airport-Downtown Options?

I'm travelling to Toronto next week. Other than taxi are there any
good and fast options - I'm not trying to do this real cheap as my
client is paying so I'm more interested, especially when I leave
Toronto which will be on a 6 p.m. being able to get out to the airport
reasonably quickly.

Old March 16th, 2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim.....

"Skookum" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm travelling to Toronto next week. Other than taxi are there any
good and fast options - I'm not trying to do this real cheap as my
client is paying so I'm more interested, especially when I leave
Toronto which will be on a 6 p.m. being able to get out to the airport
reasonably quickly.

I was on my own money so I caught the bus.

Everyone that I worked with thought I was a
nutcase

tim

Old March 17th, 2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

N. Dale writes:

Subject: Pearson Airport-Downtown Options?

I'm travelling to Toronto next week. Other than taxi are there any
good and fast options - I'm not trying to do this real cheap as my
client is paying ...

The four available choices are regular public transit (TTC), Airport
Express bus, taxi, and airport limo. ("Limo" here meaning basically
a first-class type taxi service, for airport travelers only. For
trips in the direction to the airport, you phone for one.)

Based on one-way, single-trip fares and assuming that "downtown" means
somewhere south of Bloor and between Bathurst and the Don Valley, the
current fares are $2.75 by TTC, $15.25 by Airport Express, $46 plus
tip by taxi, $50 plus tip by limo. (For taxis the mandatory flat fare
applies only in the direction from airport to city.)

Taxi, limo, or Airport Express all use the same expressways and will
be subject to the same traffic delays. (The Airport Express operates
every 20 minutes at busy times, and serves a series of specific points
downtown, which can take it some time to get between.) So if cost is
not an issue and you're going to take one of those options, you might
as well use a limo.

The TTC option means taking the subway from downtown to Kipling station
in the west end. Depending on where downtown you are starting from,
this might involve taking two subway trains (changing at St. George
station or at Bloor and Yonge). At Kipling station you go upstairs and
change to an almost-express bus (route 192, "Airport Rocket") which
takes Dundas Street to highway 427 and then proceeds to the airport by
the same route as the services from downtown.

The trip time by TTC will certainly be slower than the other options
are when traffic downtown is moving well, but it's more reliable, as
the subways bypass the street congestion. On the other hand, it will
be crowded at rush hour -- you might be standing -- and the 192 bus has
no luggage compartment. At busy times, subway trains operate every 2-3
minutes and the 192 is every 10 minutes or better.

If your "downtown" location is near Bloor Street, the TTC option looks
better since you when need only one subway train plus the 192 bus, and
a taxi will take longer to reach an expressway than from a point further
south.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you want a 20th century solution, the

Old March 17th, 2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Skookum

On Mar 16, 6:27 pm, (Mark Brader) wrote:
N. Dale writes:

I'm travelling to Toronto next week. Other than taxi are there any
good and fast options - I'm not trying to do this real cheap as my
client is paying ...

The four available choices are regular public transit (TTC), Airport
Express bus, taxi, and airport limo. ("Limo" here meaning basically
a first-class type taxi service, for airport travelers only. For
trips in the direction to the airport, you phone for one.)

Based on one-way, single-trip fares and assuming that "downtown" means
somewhere south of Bloor and between Bathurst and the Don Valley, the
current fares are $2.75 by TTC, $15.25 by Airport Express, $46 plus
tip by taxi, $50 plus tip by limo. (For taxis the mandatory flat fare
applies only in the direction from airport to city.)

Taxi, limo, or Airport Express all use the same expressways and will
be subject to the same traffic delays. (The Airport Express operates
every 20 minutes at busy times, and serves a series of specific points
downtown, which can take it some time to get between.) So if cost is
not an issue and you're going to take one of those options, you might
as well use a limo.

The TTC option means taking the subway from downtown to Kipling station
in the west end. Depending on where downtown you are starting from,
this might involve taking two subway trains (changing at St. George
station or at Bloor and Yonge). At Kipling station you go upstairs and
change to an almost-express bus (route 192, "Airport Rocket") which
takes Dundas Street to highway 427 and then proceeds to the airport by
the same route as the services from downtown.

The trip time by TTC will certainly be slower than the other options
are when traffic downtown is moving well, but it's more reliable, as
the subways bypass the street congestion. On the other hand, it will
be crowded at rush hour -- you might be standing -- and the 192 bus has
no luggage compartment. At busy times, subway trains operate every 2-3
minutes and the 192 is every 10 minutes or better.

If your "downtown" location is near Bloor Street, the TTC option looks
better since you when need only one subway train plus the 192 bus, and
a taxi will take longer to reach an expressway than from a point further
south.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you want a 20th century solution, the
| obvious answer is helicopters!" -- Bob Scheurle

That is very helpful, Mark. It opens to me another possibility for
eluding snagged downtown traffic when I'm leaving - taking the TTC to
Kipling and then hailing a taxi if the 192 is not at hand.

Old March 19th, 2007, 05:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

That is very helpful, Mark. It opens to me another possibility for
eluding snagged downtown traffic when I'm leaving - taking the TTC
to Kipling and then hailing a taxi if the 192 is not at hand.

I think Kipling station may actually have a taxi stand, but if so,
it'll be something like 700 feet away from where you get the 192 bus.

The way the station is laid out, the bus terminal is on the upper level
immediately above the subway platform, with all the different bus stops
strung out in a line, and the 192 is at the east end. The station's
street exits are reached by going down from the west end of the subway
platform into a cross tunnel that goes under the subway tracks (and the
adjacent railroad line), then up again. The passenger pickup/dropoff
("kiss-and-ride") building is off that tunnel and if there is a cab stand
it'll either be at that building or by one of the street exits near it.

Unlike most Toronto subway stations, Kipling was mainly built for people
arriving by public transit or by car, not for walk-in traffic. If there
isn't a cab stand or if there are no cabs waiting, the nearest main
street (Dundas Street) is a block north of the station. And it's not a
street that gets a lot of pedestrian traffic, so it may not be easy to
hail a cab there. You could phone for one from the station (Kingsboro,
416-232-2222, is the best company for that area), but it'd probably be
quicker to wait for the next bus.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's been proven. Places stay clean until somebody

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DJB

N. Dale writes:

I'm travelling to Toronto next week. Other than taxi are there any
good and fast options - I'm not trying to do this real cheap as my
client is paying ...

The four available choices are regular public transit (TTC), Airport
Express bus, taxi, and airport limo. ("Limo" here meaning basically
a first-class type taxi service, for airport travelers only. For
trips in the direction to the airport, you phone for one.)

Based on one-way, single-trip fares and assuming that "downtown" means
somewhere south of Bloor and between Bathurst and the Don Valley, the
current fares are $2.75 by TTC, $15.25 by Airport Express, $46 plus
tip by taxi, $50 plus tip by limo. (For taxis the mandatory flat fare
applies only in the direction from airport to city.)

Taxi, limo, or Airport Express all use the same expressways and will
be subject to the same traffic delays. (The Airport Express operates
every 20 minutes at busy times, and serves a series of specific points
downtown, which can take it some time to get between.) So if cost is
not an issue and you're going to take one of those options, you might
as well use a limo.

The TTC option means taking the subway from downtown to Kipling station
in the west end. Depending on where downtown you are starting from,
this might involve taking two subway trains (changing at St. George
station or at Bloor and Yonge). At Kipling station you go upstairs and
change to an almost-express bus (route 192, "Airport Rocket") which
takes Dundas Street to highway 427 and then proceeds to the airport by
the same route as the services from downtown.

The trip time by TTC will certainly be slower than the other options
are when traffic downtown is moving well, but it's more reliable, as
the subways bypass the street congestion. On the other hand, it will
be crowded at rush hour -- you might be standing -- and the 192 bus has
no luggage compartment. At busy times, subway trains operate every 2-3
minutes and the 192 is every 10 minutes or better.

If your "downtown" location is near Bloor Street, the TTC option looks
better since you when need only one subway train plus the 192 bus, and
a taxi will take longer to reach an expressway than from a point further
south.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you want a 20th century solution, the
| obvious answer is helicopters!" -- Bob Scheurle

That is very helpful, Mark. It opens to me another possibility for
eluding snagged downtown traffic when I'm leaving - taking the TTC to
Kipling and then hailing a taxi if the 192 is not at hand.

Actually try it the other way around -- treat yourself to a cab or
limo ride to the subway station, then take the subway downtown.
Subways are always running (well, almost always). TTC is effective,
but tedious.

Old March 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Skookum

Just a final note - I took Mark's advice and travelled both ways on
the combo of the 192 bus and the Bloor subway to and from the city via
kipling Station. It worked very well. Turned out that one of the
people at the same conference I'd been at cabbed out and was on the
same flight home. She spent $50 and arrived 15 minutes before I did
with my $2.75 fare. And it would have been closer except someone had
collapsed in the Kipling sttaion and the ambulance tied things up a
bit around there. I highly recommend this way to get in and out of
Toronto and thank Mark and others for their help.