A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travel Regions » Europe
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

scandinavia



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 599
Default scandinavia

"JohnT" wrote:
"David Horne" wrote in message
...
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!


That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...


It is also the case if you are transferring in the USA from an International flight.


perhaps oddly, I haven't done that since 1998.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
  #12  
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 599
Default scandinavia

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!


That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

D


not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
  #13  
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 252
Default scandinavia

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 05:55:20 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!


That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

D


not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there


It something that has happened to me on every flight I've made with a
'transfer' for the past five years.
  #14  
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 252
Default scandinavia

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:33:11 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 05:55:20 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

D


not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there


It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.


Does it work?

I mean, have they actually ever caught anyone doing this?

Or is it just yet another way of persuading people not to fly?
  #15  
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 890
Default scandinavia

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 05:55:20 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

D


not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there


It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.


And to **** off many buying duty free (liquids) at airports outside
Europe...

D

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)
  #16  
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,816
Default scandinavia



Erilar wrote:
"JohnT" wrote:
"David Horne" wrote in message
...
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!
That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

It is also the case if you are transferring in the USA from an International flight.


perhaps oddly, I haven't done that since 1998.


Nor I, because I've not traveled anywhere since 2003 (and my last couple
of trips were non-stops within the US). Once I began to find walking
difficult, I realized I was spending most of my stay in my hotel room,
watching TV in a foreign tongue. That seemed a rather expensive way to
improve my language skills, especially when the overcrowding and
increasingly strict security measures had made the actual travel less
than enjoyable. (If I want to watch foreign-language TV, we have five
Spanish channels in Phoenix, and I could actually USE an improvement to
my Spanish.)
  #17  
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 599
Default scandinavia

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:
Erilar wrote:
"JohnT" wrote:
"David Horne" wrote in message
...
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!
That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...
It is also the case if you are transferring in the USA from an International flight.
perhaps oddly, I haven't done that since 1998.


Nor I, because I've not traveled anywhere since 2003 (and my last couple
of trips were non-stops within the US). Once I began to find walking
difficult, I realized I was spending most of my stay in my hotel room,
watching TV in a foreign tongue. That seemed a rather expensive way to
improve my language skills, especially when the overcrowding and
increasingly strict security measures had made the actual travel less
than enjoyable. (If I want to watch foreign-language TV, we have five
Spanish channels in Phoenix, and I could actually USE an improvement to my Spanish.)


Traveling WITH hotel when you have scenery on both sides cuts down on the
walking 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
  #18  
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 563
Default scandinavia

On 04/28/2013 02:15 PM, David Horne wrote:
Martin wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 05:55:20 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

D

not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there


It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.


And to **** off many buying duty free (liquids) at airports outside
Europe...

D

That is most certainly true. If you have a connecting onward flight,
you have to make sure when you buy duty free liquids that the vendor
seals them in a tamper-free bag good enough to satisfy security checks.
There is a way round it - you go out of the security area at the
transfer airport, and check the stuff in for the second leg.
  #19  
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 890
Default scandinavia

Tom P wrote:

On 04/28/2013 02:15 PM, David Horne wrote:
Martin wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 05:55:20 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go
through security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

D

not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there

It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.


And to **** off many buying duty free (liquids) at airports outside
Europe...

D

That is most certainly true. If you have a connecting onward flight,
you have to make sure when you buy duty free liquids that the vendor
seals them in a tamper-free bag good enough to satisfy security checks.


That's not enough, I'm afraid. These sealed bags will only be accepted
from a limited number of airports outside the EEA- and exclude any in
India, as I found out...

There is a way round it - you go out of the security area at the
transfer airport, and check the stuff in for the second leg.


Rarely practical though...

D

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)
  #20  
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 252
Default scandinavia

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:32:44 +0200, Tom P wrote:


That is most certainly true. If you have a connecting onward flight,
you have to make sure when you buy duty free liquids that the vendor
seals them in a tamper-free bag good enough to satisfy security checks.


That doesn't always work.

Certainly airside security at Heathrow confiscates some sealed bags
because they don't trust the airports that sealed them. I've seen it
happen this year.

A BA hostess was carrying a sealed bag with a couple of bottles in it
from an African airport and she had it confiscated. She was, quite
rightly, livid.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scandinavia Matthew Drake Cruises 2 October 14th, 2008 11:31 PM
Going to Scandinavia? [email protected] Europe 0 November 30th, 2006 10:15 PM
Sun-Air Scandinavia googled Air travel 0 August 22nd, 2005 06:48 AM
Scandinavia Burt Europe 17 December 16th, 2004 03:58 AM
Scandinavia mwm Cruises 0 March 9th, 2004 06:16 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 TravelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.