Fish and Chips in London

Old June 6th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Default Fish and Chips in London

Forty years ago when I lived in London, I was poor, and I have fond
memories of spending my last few shillings for hot, tasty fish and
chips, sprinkled with vinegar and salt, and served in a newspaper. Do
such simple, old-fashioned fish-and-chips stalls still exist, and if
so, were are the good ones? I will be returning to London this summer,
and staying in Russell Square.

Old June 6th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Mark Hewitt

wrote in message
ups.com...
Forty years ago when I lived in London, I was poor, and I have fond
memories of spending my last few shillings for hot, tasty fish and
chips, sprinkled with vinegar and salt, and served in a newspaper. Do
such simple, old-fashioned fish-and-chips stalls still exist, and if
so, were are the good ones? I will be returning to London this summer,
and staying in Russell Square.

They aren't served in newspaper any more,, health regulations and all that.
But otherwise you can find fish and chip shops throughout the entire UK.
Except at Harry Ramsdens ;-)

Old June 6th, 2005, 02:09 PM
nightjar

wrote in message
ups.com...
Forty years ago when I lived in London, I was poor, and I have fond
memories of spending my last few shillings for hot, tasty fish and
chips, sprinkled with vinegar and salt, and served in a newspaper. Do
such simple, old-fashioned fish-and-chips stalls still exist, and if
so, were are the good ones?

Look for ones where you have to wait for the fish to be fried for you. The
quality is always better than at places where the fish is left on a hot
shelf, waiting for customers to come in. However, these days, they come in
food grade paper, rather than newspaper, and you need to check that the
vinegar is not 'non-brewed condiment' instead.

Colin Bignell

Old June 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM

"Forty years ago when I lived in London, I was poor, and I have fond
memories of spending my last few shillings for hot, tasty fish and
chips, sprinkled with vinegar and salt, and served in a newspaper. Do
such simple, old-fashioned fish-and-chips stalls still exist, and if
so, were are the good ones? I will be returning to London this summer,
and staying in Russell Square"

Pubs are your best bet for fish and chips. These neighborhood chip
shops tend to serve really greasy, low-quality stuff.

Old June 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM

"Neighbourhood chip shops are your best bet for fish and chips. Pubs
tend to serve dry, low-quality stuff."

That wasn't my experience. Just avoid chain pubs and pubs in tourist
areas.

Old June 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Mark:
Except at Harry Ramsdens ;-)

Not entirely fair - Harry Ramsden's in Inverness was judged best chippy
in Scotland not long ago. I have eaten in some of the ones it narrowly
beat, and if it's better than them, I'm impressed.