Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

Old May 29th, 2006, 11:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

On Mon, 29 May 2006 22:12:41 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:39:42 +0100,

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Mon, 29 May 2006 12:51:04 +0200, Gorazd Bozic
wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:
Following up to Bert Hyman

I lay all of Africa and the middle east, most of Asia and a good
chunk of South America on Europe's door step.
I don't see why it can't be both. I think it's safe to say that both
Europe and the US have a lot of blame to share.

Hey, hey! We had nothing to do with it here in Slovenia. We're *Eastern*
Europe, remember? :-P

You guys are RICH! Damn, if only your neighbours had learnt a thing or
two from you...

Don't put Italy and Austria down now!

For economic growth, Slovenia's got it worked out. For now.

Just because Slovenia is very successful doesn't mean that the Balkans
are in the economic doldrums. The growth rates are healthy- admittedly
more for some than others.

Only because they're working their way up. Eastern Europe is in its
golden day, but I don't know if it will ever be as rich as the west.
--
---
DFM -
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

You're _new_ Europe, remember!

Is that more Central than Eastern? 8-)

We'll be in Ljubljana in August for a few days- looking forward to it!

Hope you'll have a nice time!

Gorazd
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Gorazd Bozic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

You're _new_ Europe, remember!

Is that more Central than Eastern? 8-)

It's a remarkably shaped map, composed of countries which agree with
Donald Rumsfeld!

We'll be in Ljubljana in August for a few days- looking forward to it!

Hope you'll have a nice time!

Any particular recommendations? (I'll do some research, natch.)

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

You guys are RICH! Damn, if only your neighbours had learnt a thing or
two from you...

We are? [Checks wallet...] Yeah, I guess we can sell a bear or two. Want
one? :-)

Gorazd

Old May 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Ljubljana (Was: Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists)

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

Any particular recommendations? (I'll do some research, natch.)

I heard nice things about Gostilna Skaručna (Skarucna Inn) just outside
Ljubljana. It's traditional cuisine with an interesting approach. You
are advised to arrive no later than 6pm (reservations I hear are a must)
to appreciate the whole set of dishes. Quite a friendly atmosphere,
people say.

Maybe consider taking a Taxi there and back (as opposed to your
own/rented car). My friend said he's been offered two shots of local
brandy while paying the bill (the owner joined them on the second).

They don't have much on the web, a picture from one review (a bit old,
from 2000 and in Slovenian only) is at

http://www.mladina.si/projekti/konzum/lokal/1494/

Address is:

Gostilna Skaručna
Skaručna 20 pod *marno goro
Vodice
Phone: +386 1 832 30 80

If you want to stay in the city, you can try Sokol (almost) next to the
Town Hall. They brew their own beer also. For quick snacks during the
day you might want to check Tomato (*ubičeva 1 right in the centre) for
sandwiches, salads, hamburgers and so on.

If you have a car and have time to drive some 30-40 minutes to Velike
Lašče, I recommend Pri Kuklju (phone: +386 1 788 90 98). Velike Lašče is
in direction of Kočevje and the Inn is impossible to miss - it's on top
of the hill right by the road.

Gorazd
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Ljubljana

Gorazd Bozic wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy wrote:

Any particular recommendations? (I'll do some research, natch.)

I heard nice things about Gostilna Skaru?na (Skarucna Inn) just outside
Ljubljana. It's traditional cuisine with an interesting approach. You
are advised to arrive no later than 6pm (reservations I hear are a must)
to appreciate the whole set of dishes. Quite a friendly atmosphere,
people say.

Thanks- it looks interesting. The waiter looks a little crazed while
slicing something (meat? bread? can't tell) but still!

Old May 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2006 14:28:48 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Any particular recommendations? (I'll do some research, natch.)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=natch

I don't know what shocks me mo That I have never heard that word,
or that my English feels decidedly insecure about it.

You obviously drank too much in London!

Old May 30th, 2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:32:28 +0200, Gorazd Bozic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

You guys are RICH! Damn, if only your neighbours had learnt a thing or
two from you...

We are? [Checks wallet...] Yeah, I guess we can sell a bear or two. Want
one? :-)

In batter please!
--
---