New York to Washington DC by Car

Old September 14th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Warren C. Liebold

Default New York to Washington DC by Car

The only major advantages to driving from NYC to DC is that it's easier to
handle and carry luggage when you have a car and you can make side trips if
you wish.

Your observation about aggressive drivers is true somewhat, but no more so
than many other major cities.

Amtrak is a million times more comfortable, runs from the middle of each
city to the middle of the other.

Yes, the scenery is nothing to get excited about, but then I've seen
hundreds of times before. The scenery is about the same whether you're
driving or taking the train.

The major issue may be the weather. Although snow storms are more likely
December 15-February 15, they can occur sooner or later. Driving under snow
conditions for that trip is draining.

Also, check to see if Amtrak offers deals for families (one full fare and
others are discounted). Also remember that there are three "classes" of
Amtrak service: local, Metroliner (I think they're still running some
non-Acela Metroliners) and Acela. Those are in ascending order of cost.

Warren

"Tony Fletcher" wrote in message
news
Hi,
We're going to New York City at christmas. We have 3 spare days and would
like to go to DC to see the sights. We've been onto the web and a car
seems
the cheapest option, but the weathe in NY, Md and DC at Christmas is a bit
of a worry. If it snows, will the Interstates be clear? Also, is it a

good
choice to drive from NYC to DC?

Any advice appreciated.

Tony & Christine Fletcher (UK)

Old September 17th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Warren C. Liebold

In 1996 (or 1999, I forget which) I was in Orlando Fl in late January as a
blizzard hit the East coast. airports were closed and much of the Eastern
seaboard were snowed in on Feb 1.

I traveled by Amtrak through the blizzard and arrived in New York an hour or
two late. Assuming that you'll get a room on the way to DC is speculative,
and possibly dangerous.

"JohnDoe" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:01:07 GMT, "Warren C. Liebold"
wrote:

Also, check to see if Amtrak offers deals for families (one full fare and
others are discounted). Also remember that there are three "classes" of
Amtrak service: local, Metroliner (I think they're still running some
non-Acela Metroliners) and Acela. Those are in ascending order of cost.

Amtrak's reliability during snow storms is quite bad, delays of many
hours is not uncommon. If you're driving you can always stop and get a
room, if you're stuck on a train between stops, you're just stuck