New York

Old September 21st, 2003, 05:18 AM
Pan

Default New York

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:02:59 GMT, Larry Finch
wrote:

I won't comment on the places you mention; others will have beat me to it.
Instead consider the best restaurants in NY for her birthday dinner. For food,
Bouley.

[snip]

Caution:

My brother and I had their prix-fixe lunch less than a year ago and it
was very disappointing. My brother's chicken was partly _raw_!!! Sure,
they comped his lunch, but we wanted to have a memorable dining
experience and pay for it, not have a lunch comped.

That said, it'll be better than Planet Hollywood. :-p

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:09 PM
Scottish Quilter

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:07:44 +0100, "aNdy" wrote:

Hi all
I'm coming to New York from the UK at the end of November, could anybody
give me a few ideas of what I could do for a weekend. I'm bringing my wife
who is having a surprise 40th Birthday present. I already have booked
tickets to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, any thing else
to do will be appreciated, we are staying at 45 west 35 street are there any
good restaurants nearby?? and is Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe worth
visiting?
TIA
Andy

Take the cruise around Manhattan Island ( will it still be running
in Nov?----------others on the ng will advise!!) As a first-timer to
NYC about 10 yrs ago we loved it! We've been returning annually ever
since and love the city!
Take a sunday walk across Brooklyn Bridge.
Just enjoy the various "neighbourhoods" by just strolling
around-------NYC is much safer than London---------at least I feel
thatgrin
We use the buses rather then the subway 'cause you see more and we
have always been pleasantly surprised by the courtesy of the bus
drivers----------not like over here!
There are is some good eating up Columbus avenue-----don't have
breakfast in your hotel go out to a diner and you will get a great
b'fast at half the price!
Elma in Glasgow, Scotland, UK
(Remove spex to reply by email)
Old September 21st, 2003, 08:20 PM
news.charter.net

I forgot to mention to go out to Ellis Island and see the Statue of Liberty.
They have a very nice museum there. This will be a good time of year with
things cooling down and school in session.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 03:24 AM
PTRAVEL

"news.charter.net" wrote in message
I forgot to mention to go out to Ellis Island and see the Statue of

Liberty.
They have a very nice museum there. This will be a good time of year with
things cooling down and school in session.

Just to clarify, the Statue of Liberty isn't on Ellis Island, though the
boat stops at both. There's not an awful lot to see at the Statue of
Liberty, though Ellis Island can be interesting. My recommendation is to
take the Statan Island ferry, which provides a wonderful view of New York
harbor, including the Statue of Liberty, and, best of all, it's free.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 11:18 AM
Pan

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:09:11 GMT,
(Scottish Quilter) wrote:

Take the cruise around Manhattan Island ( will it still be running
in Nov?----------others on the ng will advise!!)

Yep. The company the original poster would look for is the Circle
Line:

http://www.circleline.com/sightseeing.htm

As a first-timer to
NYC about 10 yrs ago we loved it! We've been returning annually ever
since and love the city!
Take a sunday walk across Brooklyn Bridge.

[snip]

But if it's really windy, as it can be in November, hold onto your
hat!!!!

Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:49 PM
Mark Hewitt

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

Just to clarify, the Statue of Liberty isn't on Ellis Island, though the
boat stops at both. There's not an awful lot to see at the Statue of
Liberty, though Ellis Island can be interesting. My recommendation is to
take the Statan Island ferry, which provides a wonderful view of New York
harbor, including the Statue of Liberty, and, best of all, it's free.

I can vouch for that. Excellent views, it goes right past the statue of
liberty. Well worth it.

Old September 24th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Me

In article , "aNdy"
wrote:

Hi all
I'm coming to New York from the UK at the end of November, could anybody
give me a few ideas of what I could do for a weekend. I'm bringing my wife
who is having a surprise 40th Birthday present. I already have booked
tickets to the observation deck of the Empire State Building, any thing else
to do will be appreciated, we are staying at 45 west 35 street are there any
good restaurants nearby?? and is Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe worth
visiting?

What are your interests? There's something interesting to do in NYC for
anyone, but to make recommendations requires I know your interests. Same
with restaurants. What's your budget and what type of cuisine do you
prefer. There isn't any area of NYC where you won't find some good
restaurantss so you need to narrow it down some.

As for Planet Hollywood and Hard Rock Cafe, some people like them,
otherwise they would be out of business, but I am not one of them. Both
restaurants are chain theme restaurants with mediocre food for high
prices. They're really tourist traps. For those who like the theming,
either restaurant can be a lot of fun. For good food, you can do a hell
of a lot better than the Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood in NYC.