Hire car / car rental from Heathrow

Old September 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Joel

Default Hire car / car rental from Heathrow

Anyone have any recommendations on car rental or car hire from Heathrow
Airport?

I need a big family car for a week and Hertz is quoting me $750 US for a
week for a full-size wagon.

Thanks,

Joel

Old September 13th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Joel" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone have any recommendations on car rental or car hire from Heathrow
Airport?

I need a big family car for a week and Hertz is quoting me $750 US for a
week for a full-size wagon.

I rented from National Hire Car at Heathrow (Alamo is the same place) they
have shuttle buses to pick you up from the terminals and take you to their
depot on the North perimeter road, prices are pretty much standard. Though I
was only hiring a Ford Fiesta.

Are you sure you need a "full-size wagon"? Don't make the mistake of
comparing cars on US roads to those on UK roads, the average size of car
here is much smaller and if you get something of similar size to the USA you
will find it difficult to park and negotiate some of the narrow streets we
have here.

National is currently quoting £227 for a weeks hire or a Vauxhall Vectra 1.8
(It's probably a normal size car for the USA but here it's definitely on the
large size)

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM
TMOliver

"Mark Hewitt" vented spleen or mostly
mumbled...

National is currently quoting £227 for a weeks hire or a Vauxhall
Vectra 1.8 (It's probably a normal size car for the USA but here it's
definitely on the large size)

Most USAians would think of a Vextra 1.8 as an Economy or Compact car, not
even "Mid-sized" (which by Euopean description it probably is).

TMO

TMO

Old September 13th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Joel" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone have any recommendations on car rental or car hire from Heathrow
Airport?

I need a big family car for a week and Hertz is quoting me $750 US for a
week for a full-size wagon.

Took me a few hours on this but I think I just figured out what you mean by
"wagon".. you mean an Estate Car? i.e. Like a normal car but with extended
boot space? Anyway, National quote £275 for one of them (see my other post
about them). Based on a Peugeot 406 2.0 litre. £406 if you want a Ford
Galaxy people carrier. Depends on how many people you need to transport?

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Joel

Thanks for the National rates.... Those are less than Hertz.

Anyone have any good/bad experiences with National or can compare UK service
with Hertz?

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

. ..

Old September 20th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Joel

I ended up finding a minivan from Europcar that was $750 for the week.

More than I wanted to pay, but cheaper than the minivans from Hertz and
Avis -- they both wanted $1300/week for a pick up at Heathrow and drop at
Stansted.

. ..

Old September 20th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Joel" wrote in message
t...
I ended up finding a minivan from Europcar that was $750 for the week.

Blimey thats expensive. Just exactly what did you hire? I'm not familiar
with the term 'minivan'.

More than I wanted to pay, but cheaper than the minivans from Hertz and
Avis -- they both wanted $1300/week for a pick up at Heathrow and drop at
Stansted.

Hertz and Avis have always charged around double their competitiors in the
same area whenever I've checked.

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Joel

It's a small (by US standards), large by UK standards 7 passenger family
van. No room for cargo, but can seat 7 people.

It seemed that the big problem with getting a decent rate (I'm just
comparing the one I got to the outrageous rates that Hertz and Avis wanted)
was the pickup at Heathrow and the drop at Stansted.

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

t...

Old September 20th, 2003, 05:40 PM
bigbrian

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:00:02 GMT, "Joel"
wrote:

It's a small (by US standards), large by UK standards 7 passenger family
van. No room for cargo, but can seat 7 people.

It seemed that the big problem with getting a decent rate (I'm just
comparing the one I got to the outrageous rates that Hertz and Avis wanted)
was the pickup at Heathrow and the drop at Stansted.

I just did a test quote on www.carjet.co.uk for a 7 seater Galaxy,
from Heathrow to Stansted, 7 day hire, and it comes up with £486/€609
for the week, no drop off charge

Brian