Portable GPS - model /feature preference ?

Old August 27th, 2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Portable GPS - model /feature preference ?

Starting to look a these
http://reviews.cnet.com/gps/
and wonderin ' - any reasons to buy one vs another:
TomTom, Mio, Garmin .

I like to map my roadtrips on google with all stops ( sometimes 2000 miles
with 5 or 6 stops). I then save to laptop and print out to take in
hotel/car.
Can I download online maps to any of these ? Or have to program each
stop - in the GPS ?
I'm not looking to use it for mp3/video/Tv - just GPS.
I would like live traffic - is that only on built-ins ?
Off to read now - any feedback from current owners about what to get/avoid
will be appreciated.

Old August 27th, 2008, 05:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

- Bobb - wrote:
Starting to look a these
http://reviews.cnet.com/gps/
and wonderin ' - any reasons to buy one vs another:
TomTom, Mio, Garmin .

I like to map my roadtrips on google with all stops ( sometimes 2000
miles with 5 or 6 stops). I then save to laptop and print out to
take
in hotel/car.
Can I download online maps to any of these ? Or have to program each
stop - in the GPS ?
I'm not looking to use it for mp3/video/Tv - just GPS.
I would like live traffic - is that only on built-ins ?
Off to read now - any feedback from current owners about what to
get/avoid will be appreciated.

Don't know about TomTom or Mio but Garmin has their own map software,
that's included. You plan the trip on the computer and then download
the route to the GPS.

Garmin has had live traffic for years, it's an extra cost option
though and I've never noticed it being particularly useful.

Garmin's been in the GPS business a long time and makes good
equipment. Mine sits outdoors on my motorcycle in all weather and
never misses a beat.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old August 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:10:57 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Don't know about TomTom or Mio but Garmin has their own map software,
that's included. You plan the trip on the computer and then download
the route to the GPS.

Same with TomTom.

Garmin has had live traffic for years, it's an extra cost option
though and I've never noticed it being particularly useful.

Agreed.

-- Larry
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

wrote:

Don't know about TomTom or Mio but Garmin has their own map software,
that's included. You plan the trip on the computer and then download
the route to the GPS.

Same with TomTom.

Garmin has had live traffic for years, it's an extra cost option
though and I've never noticed it being particularly useful.

Agreed.

-- Larry

Thanks.
As for traffic info, if big accident road and closed 5 miles ahead, I
thought would be useful to know BEFORE passing that 'last exit before
accident" off ramp, rather than drive past it and be stuck. I know - "How
often does that happen ?" , but I just figured if ONE had it ( for free)
and others didn't, it would make a difference.
Friends have it built-in to newer cars and it did come in handy a few
times .

Old August 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
news
Starting to look a these
http://reviews.cnet.com/gps/
and wonderin ' - any reasons to buy one vs another:
TomTom, Mio, Garmin .

I like to map my roadtrips on google with all stops ( sometimes 2000 miles
with 5 or 6 stops). I then save to laptop and print out to take in
hotel/car.
Can I download online maps to any of these ? Or have to program each
stop - in the GPS ?

The TomTom can be hooked up to your laptop via USB for
route planning. The maps can be updated on line at the same time.

I'm not looking to use it for mp3/video/Tv - just GPS.
I would like live traffic - is that only on built-ins ?

You can get that with TomTom in Europe via bluetooth
on your cellphone. I dont know if its available in the USA/Canada

Off to read now - any feedback from current owners about what to get/avoid
will be appreciated.

The Garmin has somewhat better US maps but the GUI on the TomTom
is far better IMHO and map sets are cheaper. Personally I use
the TomTom and am very happy with it

Keith

Old August 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

One of the nice features on the TomTom is the ability to easily dial in
an avoid blocked road feature and a distance to the block. The
device then recalculates the route.

Keith

Old August 27th, 2008, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Thanks Keith - what model do you have ?
I'm leaving town tomorrow for 3800 mile trip ( mostly highway and I've
done it 3-4 times before) and figure .. I've been thinking of getting
one - why not now ?

Old August 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
news
Thanks Keith - what model do you have ?

The 700 which is an older model with a 2.5 gb internal hard drive

Keith