connecting in SYD on int'l-to-domestic ...

Old July 14th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Alan

Default connecting in SYD on int'l-to-domestic ...

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:28:35 +0000, sassie
wrote:

3 hours should be
plenty of time, although things do happen out of your control, as
happened to us a couple of weeks ago. we flew from heathrow to
melbourne, with a 4 hour connection time for our domestic flight up to
brisbane. Sods law, when we got to singapore, or just before we
arrived, an announcement was made that there would be a 6 hour delay in
singapore, which meant we would miss our domestic flight by about an
hour. so we spent the best part of 2 hours trying to get through to
qantas to change our booking. cost another £100 to change the booking.

That's an important point. We left London last year on the day of the BA
strike (July 23) ten hours late. It helped that we had allowed two
nights in Singapore. But the ripple effect from London led to us having
to go from Singapore with BA via Melbourne then Qantas to Coolangatta,
instead of the planned Qantas via Brisbane to Coolangatta (home).

A few months earlier, we left San Juan four hours late on the flight to
Madrid. We had allowed two nights in Madrid before connecting to
Granada; I hate to think of trying to sort it out if we had needed to
connect on that day.

If it was me, I'd take the opportunity to spend a day or three in
Sydney, to sight-see and get over jet-lag. We did 19 flights on the rtw
ticket, but always allowed two or three nights at our first port-of-call
after a trans-oceanic.

Cheers, Alan
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Craig Macbride

"4000 psi" nospamever writes:

could someone please tell me if 3 hours is enough to clear
immigration/customs in SYD coming off an international flight

Should be.

there are 3 passengers and 9 bags ...

If you're travelling in economy, you're usually allowed 2 pieces of hand
luggage (7kg max each) and one checked (32kg max) per person. If you mean 9
checked bags, or you have those enormous roll-aboards they allow in the USA,
you're way over the limit.

and another question if i may ... when looking up AUS domestic flights on
www.expedia.com for example one finds flights (one-way from SYD to BNE) on
Qantas or Virgin priced at 300 USD ... same flights on nine.msn.com.au are
at most 90 AUD ... is it possible to book AUS domestic flights from US and
pay the local rates rather the over-inflated US-listed prices?

Just book on an Aussie site. The airline sites themselves are one possibility,
as should be the major online travel companies. travel.com.au gives a few
percent discount off Qantas tickets.

yeah we're using United for LAX-SYD ... does anyone know what the United
service is like to AUS? do the fly upgraded 747's ... do they have
entertainment centers in each seat?

They have economy plus seating, but no personal screens in Y.

--
Craig Macbride http://www.f8d.com
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...