Edinburgh, Scotland

Old November 20th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Irishc

Default Edinburgh, Scotland

Does anyone have any suggestions for economical lodging for several
nights in Edinburgh, Scotland? We are looking for accommodations that
are within walking distance to the city center and transportation.

Old November 21st, 2003, 01:55 AM
Livadia

"Irishc" wrote in message

Does anyone have any suggestions for economical lodging for several
nights in Edinburgh, Scotland? We are looking for accommodations that
are within walking distance to the city center and transportation.

Don't know what you consider "economical," but take a look at Jurys Inn.

http://www.jurysdoyle.com/uk_hotel_j..._edinburgh.htm

I stayed there a couple of years ago -- close to Waverley Station, next to
the Royal Mile. Basic, but clean rooms. Nice restaurant and pub. Worked
out great for me and didn't cost an arm and a leg/ Could be what you're
looking for....

Best,
Livadia

Old November 21st, 2003, 08:37 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Livadia" wrote in message

Don't know what you consider "economical," but take a look at Jurys Inn.

http://www.jurysdoyle.com/uk_hotel_j..._edinburgh.htm

I stayed there a couple of years ago -- close to Waverley Station, next to
the Royal Mile. Basic, but clean rooms. Nice restaurant and pub. Worked
out great for me and didn't cost an arm and a leg/ Could be what you're
looking for....

I agree that unless a price is specified it's next to impossible to
determine what "economical" actually means!

I've stayed in the Jurys Inn and have always found it to be good, albeit
basic as you say.
However they do have a major problem with noise around the back of the
hotel, they have large and noisy venitaltion fans somewhere in the back yard
and the first time I stayed there it kept me up all night, it is *that*
loud. I was only staying for one night but I spoke to the front desk who's
only advice was if booking in future to request a room at the front of the
hotel.

Another option is the Travelodge, which is just around the corner from
Jury's. Although it does claim to be a 'full service' hotel in the same way
as Jury's does I would actually rate it higher in terms of quality of the
rooms. I had a very pleasant couple of nights there. There was an issue with
noise from the traffic outside on the cobbled streets but this died down
later at night. www.travelodge.co.uk

If your looking even cheaper then the Hotel Ibis is further down South
Bridge and has rooms from £45 per night, friends of mine have stayed there
and say it is ok, albeit more basic than Jurys or Travelodge.

Hope that helps some.

Old November 21st, 2003, 08:51 AM
Owain

"Irishc" wrote |
| Does anyone have any suggestions for economical lodging for several
| nights in Edinburgh, Scotland? We are looking for accommodations
| that are within walking distance to the city center and transportation.

www.edinburgh.org

click on Accommodation and you can choose from hotels and B&Bs. Postcodes
EH1 and EH3 will be most central.

You can also check out the late offers on the site.

For bus info visit
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/CEC/City..._Communication
s/Buses/bus.html

or www.edinburgh.gov.uk and click on Transport on the left
http://www.lothianbuses.co.uk/planner/jrnyplan.htm
http://www.firstedinburgh.co.uk/

Owain

Old November 21st, 2003, 09:42 AM
MrFalafel

Irishc wrote in message ...
Does anyone have any suggestions for economical lodging for several
nights in Edinburgh, Scotland? We are looking for accommodations that
are within walking distance to the city center and transportation.

Cheapest way to do Edinburgh (besides hostels) is to stay in a B&B.
They're far cheaper than any souless corporate hotel.

Edinburgh is small enough where pretty much anywhere is within walking
distance to the town centre.

Here's a list of cheaper B&Bs.
http://www.flyinghaggis.co.uk/scotla...edinburgh.html

To find out where they physically are, copy the B&B's postcode and
paste it into the box on http://www.streetmap.co.uk and be sure the
'postcode' box is checked. When you hit the button a map of the town
will be displayed and an arrow will point right to the B&B's location.
This way you can verify exactly where the B&B is.
Old November 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM
Mark Hewitt

"MrFalafel" wrote in message
om...
Irishc wrote in message

Does anyone have any suggestions for economical lodging for several
nights in Edinburgh, Scotland? We are looking for accommodations that
are within walking distance to the city center and transportation.

Cheapest way to do Edinburgh (besides hostels) is to stay in a B&B.
They're far cheaper than any souless corporate hotel.

Edinburgh is small enough where pretty much anywhere is within walking
distance to the town centre.

Depends what you call close! Our secretary booked me into a hotel once which
claimed to be close to the town centre, but it actually took me 45 minutes
to walk there! Check your maps carefully.

Old November 21st, 2003, 07:24 PM
Derek F

"MrFalafel" wrote in message
om...
Irishc wrote in message

Does anyone have any suggestions for economical lodging for several
nights in Edinburgh, Scotland? We are looking for accommodations that
are within walking distance to the city center and transportation.

Cheapest way to do Edinburgh (besides hostels) is to stay in a B&B.
They're far cheaper than any souless corporate hotel.

B&B's are no longer the cheaper option. I live in a street full of B&B's and
Guest Houses and some charge a ridiculous £120 a night for a double. Much
better the unfriendly Ibis or a friendly Travelodge or Travel Inn.
Derek.

Old November 21st, 2003, 07:31 PM
Derek F

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"MrFalafel" wrote in message
om...
Irishc wrote in message

Does anyone have any suggestions for economical lodging for several
nights in Edinburgh, Scotland? We are looking for accommodations that
are within walking distance to the city center and transportation.

Cheapest way to do Edinburgh (besides hostels) is to stay in a B&B.
They're far cheaper than any souless corporate hotel.

Edinburgh is small enough where pretty much anywhere is within walking
distance to the town centre.

Depends what you call close! Our secretary booked me into a hotel once

which
claimed to be close to the town centre, but it actually took me 45 minutes
to walk there! Check your maps carefully.

I was on a Flight into Edinburgh and sitting next to two Italian ladies with
very little English. Their travel agent had booked them into a hotel in
Blackburn, West Lothian, I told them not to bother going!
Derek.

Old November 21st, 2003, 08:48 PM
a.spencer3

Derek F wrote in message

"MrFalafel" wrote in message
om...
Irishc wrote in message

Does anyone have any suggestions for economical lodging for several
nights in Edinburgh, Scotland? We are looking for accommodations that
are within walking distance to the city center and transportation.

Cheapest way to do Edinburgh (besides hostels) is to stay in a B&B.
They're far cheaper than any souless corporate hotel.

B&B's are no longer the cheaper option. I live in a street full of B&B's

and
Guest Houses and some charge a ridiculous £120 a night for a double. Much
better the unfriendly Ibis or a friendly Travelodge or Travel Inn.
Derek.

Yep, the travel lodges are best. Or, if you're happy with them, there are
two cheap hostels within walking distance of the centre.

Surreyman

Old November 23rd, 2003, 11:59 AM
Phil

On 21 Nov 2003 01:42:35 -0800, (MrFalafel) wrote:

Edinburgh is small enough where pretty much anywhere is within walking
distance to the town centre.

You must be joking!

However, you comment does apply to EH1 and EH3

Phil