New Zealand Electricity Supply

Old December 13th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Richard Hamilton

Default New Zealand Electricity Supply

Hi,

I am travelling to NZ in two weeks time and am having some difficulty in
finding a suitable travel plug adapter.

I am travelling from the UK (240V) so don't need a transformer - just an
adapter.

Some places I look say that NZ have 3-pin plugs and others say a mixture of
2- and 3-pin. (I believe the 2-pin is the same as in Australia):

http://www.southisland-nz.worldweb.c...ity/8-711.html

Anyway can someone advise me what exactly I need and where in the UK I can
get it quickly - on the Internet preferably?

Thanks

Rich

Old December 13th, 2004, 10:10 PM
David Bennetts

"Richard Hamilton" wrote in message
Hi,

I am travelling to NZ in two weeks time and am having some difficulty in
finding a suitable travel plug adapter.

I am travelling from the UK (240V) so don't need a transformer - just an
adapter.

Some places I look say that NZ have 3-pin plugs and others say a mixture
of 2- and 3-pin. (I believe the 2-pin is the same as in Australia):

http://www.southisland-nz.worldweb.c...ity/8-711.html

Anyway can someone advise me what exactly I need and where in the UK I can
get it quickly - on the Internet preferably?

Thanks

Rich

Same plug as Australia. You should be able to pick up a suitable adaptor
easily in Britain, try Dixons or failing that you'll get one at Heathrow
before departure.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old December 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Andrew Venor

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Hi,

I am travelling to NZ in two weeks time and am having some difficulty in
finding a suitable travel plug adapter.

I am travelling from the UK (240V) so don't need a transformer - just an
adapter.

Some places I look say that NZ have 3-pin plugs and others say a mixture of
2- and 3-pin. (I believe the 2-pin is the same as in Australia):

http://www.southisland-nz.worldweb.c...ity/8-711.html

Anyway can someone advise me what exactly I need and where in the UK I can
get it quickly - on the Internet preferably?

Thanks

Rich

I suppose if all else fails you could check the airport duty free shop
while you are waiting to board your flight.

ALV

Old December 13th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Geoff McCaughan

Richard Hamilton wrote:
Hi,

I am travelling to NZ in two weeks time and am having some difficulty in
finding a suitable travel plug adapter.

I am travelling from the UK (240V) so don't need a transformer - just an
adapter.

Some places I look say that NZ have 3-pin plugs and others say a mixture of
2- and 3-pin. (I believe the 2-pin is the same as in Australia):

http://www.southisland-nz.worldweb.c...ity/8-711.html

That page is misleading. The picture on the left is the correct one, all
sockets in NZ are 3 pin [same as in Australia], the only exceptions are
sometimes you will find 2 pin 110/230V shaver sockets in bathrooms.

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Old December 14th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Dwayne

Dick Smith Electronics (~$10 or ~3.5GBP). They have locations in all the
major "cities".

Dwayne

Old December 14th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Freda

Nothing misleading-- other than they perhaps
should say the two pin without earth diagram
is for double insulated electrical appliances.
Any double insulated product in Aust and NZ
does not require the earth pin to have an
electrical connection, SO they save money
and provide a two pin plug with out the earth
pin "hardware lug" in situ. (AS 3000 applies)
Both diagrms are OK
The second (two prong) one is what most
laptops have, that are sold in Aust.
Freda

--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake