vote on

Old September 13th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Mason Barge

Default vote on

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 07:25:54 -0500 (CDT), (skip lynch)
wrote:

what do you think is the best cruise port you have been to??

I have had so many "A+" ports it is hard to pick. But I'm going to go
with Schwerin, Germany (30-40 minute train ride from
Warnemunde/Rostock). The town is utterly beautiful and charming, the
people are nice (although not that many speak English compared to most
Baltic stops), it is easy to walk around, you can get great authentic
north German food, it has a fabulous Disneyesque castle with lovely
grounds, even the trains are nice. And it's not just jam-packed with
tourists, or it wasn't when I visited.

Four ports that everyone should sail into/out of, once in their lives,
just for the sheer majesty:
Istanbul, Hong Kong, Rio de Janeiro, Malta.

Best lunch I've ever had: Santorini

Most beautiful city in the world: Tie, Venice and Stockholm -- both
ports!

Coolest ruins in the world: Tie, 1) Knossos, Heraklion, Crete; 2)
Angkor Wat, Cambodia (but I'm not sure if this is available on a
cruise). I've never been to Machu Piccu. I have seen a gazillion
Roman/Greek ruins, so maybe my taste is a little skewed. So honorable
mention to the Acropolis (and especially the Parthenon which may be
the most beautiful building I've ever seen), Ancient Rome, Pompeii,
Ephesus (Kusadasi), and while I'm at it, Chichen Itza.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old September 15th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Linda

Mason,

Where did you have lunch on Santorini? Do you recall the name of the
restaurant?

Thanks,
Linda

Old September 16th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Mason Barge

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:23:59 -0400, Linda wrote:

Mason,

Where did you have lunch on Santorini? Do you recall the name of the
restaurant?

No, we just grabbed one that looked good, overlooking the bay or
whatever you would call it. Hold on I'll see if I can find it.

Hmm, I think it might have been this one, the Archipelagos:

http://www.travel-to-santorini.com/p...&member_id=251

I got all local cuisine, btw, including something based on a cheese
made on the island and some sort of stuffed grape leaves. YUMMMM!

One interesting note -- the Marco Polo was moored off Fira also, and I
remarked to my wife what a beautiful ship it was. Some man at the
next table leaned over and said "Glad you think so" -- it was the
first officer, who was extremely friendly and really gung-ho about his
ship