International Pet Animal Airlines?

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:07 PM
Pennsylvania Lady

Default International Pet Animal Airlines?

Are there any at all that will allow you to take a domestic pet
heavier than a feather on board internationally or allow you to buy
the pet a seat for the pet?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:19 PM
szozu

"Pennsylvania Lady" wrote in message
m...
Are there any at all that will allow you to take a domestic pet
heavier than a feather on board internationally or allow you to buy
the pet a seat for the pet?

Well, there's Companion Air in the works, but only for the US. The fares are
not cheap though.
http://www.companionair.com

Otherwise, the weight limitations for travelling in the cabin are between
6-8 kilos, depending on the airline, or at least that's the case in Europe.
The animal must fit under the seat in front of you and some carriers such as
EasyJet do not allow animals at all.

Lana

Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:00 PM
Padraig Breathnach

jcoulter wrote:

(Pennsylvania Lady) wrote in
om:

Are there any at all that will allow you to take a domestic pet
heavier than a feather on board internationally or allow you to buy
the pet a seat for the pet?

Companion animals are allowed, but ever since the pig incident a few years
ago (pot bellied pig as companion animal turned first class nightmare) teh
airlines are a little more picky about who gets to ride with their animal.

Or who the animal gets to ride with!

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Mark Fagan

I've seen small dogs that stayed in a caryon bag...you need to check with
the specific airline for rules and regs. And if there is a cost.

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Pennsylvania Lady

"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com wrote in message news:40963a8b$0$8646

"Pennsylvania Lady" wrote in message
m...
Are there any at all that will allow you to take a domestic pet
heavier than a feather on board internationally or allow you to buy
the pet a seat for the pet?

Well, there's Companion Air in the works, but only for the US. The fares are
not cheap though.
http://www.companionair.com

I searched their site, and unless I'm mistaken, they don't have any
link with scheduled flights! Thanks, though, for letting me know
about them. Maybe they'll be up and flying in the near future.

(BTW, I just bought a fairly expensive collapsible *metal* and (hard)
plastic carrier for my cat. When airlines say collapsibles aren't
allowed, they're referring to the soft-sided, no?)
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:49 AM
jcoulter

(Pennsylvania Lady) wrote in
om:

"Pennsylvania Lady" wrote in message
m...
Are there any at all that will allow you to take a domestic pet
heavier than a feather on board internationally or allow you to buy
the pet a seat for the pet?

Well, there's Companion Air in the works, but only for the US. The
fares are not cheap though.
http://www.companionair.com

I searched their site, and unless I'm mistaken, they don't have any
link with scheduled flights! Thanks, though, for letting me know
about them. Maybe they'll be up and flying in the near future.

(BTW, I just bought a fairly expensive collapsible *metal* and (hard)
plastic carrier for my cat. When airlines say collapsibles aren't
allowed, they're referring to the soft-sided, no?)

the airlines wnat you to use soft carriers in the cabin and hard ones in
the cargo hold

there is a charge for pets in the cabin (at least $100 each way
international I believe)
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:49 PM
szozu

"jcoulter" wrote in message
(Pennsylvania Lady) wrote in
om:

[...]

Air France and Lufthansa are supposed to be good with animals, though Air
France accepts only up to 5 kg weight in the cabin. German Wings, on the
other hand, accept animals of up to 8 kg (including waterproof container)
and charge 20 EUR per flight for the animal (of course, they only fly within
Europe). They do not have cargo accommodations for animals. Lufthansa allows
up to 8 kg in the cabin.
http://www18.germanwings.com/en/00/0_8.html#Animals
http://cms.lufthansa.com/fly/de/en/i...1,00.html#Pets

By the way, the French railways are great with animals. If you have them in
a carrier there is a standard fee of somewhere around 5 EUR, if they are on
a lead (and muzzled) then it's a percentage of your fare. If it's a short
journey, then they will charge you the percentage to make it cheaper, even
if your animal is in a carrier. I took my dog on the TGV in January and
there was another small dog in the same car. France is very dog-friendly. I
live in Cannes and there are 68,000 inhabitants and 35,000 dogs.

Lana

Old May 5th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Pennsylvania Lady

"szozu" hoppbunny at hotmail com wrote in message news:409793db$0$20751

[...]

Thanks for the links. I looked up germanwings, which I had not heard
of (because I'd be heading to Munich). They don't fly to the US!
Tant pis~
(Mais merci milles fois pour les bon mots en ceux qui concerne la
France!)
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Thomas Peel

Pennsylvania Lady schrieb:

Are there any at all that will allow you to take a domestic pet
heavier than a feather on board internationally or allow you to buy
the pet a seat for the pet?

On a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Zagreb, I once saw a small boy
with a goldfish in a plastic bag.