I Never Thought I'd Say This, But...

Old March 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

Default I Never Thought I'd Say This, But...

Over the past 25 years or so, I've seen numerous posts here and
elsewhere with phrases like:
- I'll never cruise line xx again, even if they offered me a free
cruise, I wouldn't accept
- The food was inedible / I couldn't find anything to eat

Well, it happened. I just got back from 7 days on the Norwegian
Spirit, W Caribbean cruise. A full cruise review will be forthcoming,
but until them...

The experience was horrible. I've always believed that there were a
wide variety of lines with different strengths and price points, and
it's a matter of appropriate expectations. When we took an almost
identical cruise on NCL 4 years ago (similar ships in size and age and
similar itinerary), the experience was surprisingly good, in spite of
an unbelievably low fare (5 days, $375 per pax, outside).

This time, just about every aspect of the product was fatally
compromised (except for the smiles and hard work of the crew and the
physical ship). Freestyle 2.0? - more like Freestyle .5 ...and little
was free, OR had style.

By the third day, I was taking refuge on the omelets made to order in
the buffet for breakfast, knowing that it would keep me fed for most
of the day, no matter how dismal the rest of the offerings in the
buffet or dining room. Most dinners, I attempted "defensive ordering"
- but items were still so poorly prepared, I could only eat a few
bites. Desserts were consistently inedible. Most of the time, they had
no flavor whatsoever, and when they did, it was off. I experienced
textures like nothing I've encountered in foodstuffs before (gelatin,
gum agar, flubber?). Before you think that I have too high
expectations of the food, realize that I was a dorm cook for 10 years
- I know the limitations of high-volume preparation with small
budgets. For instance, I was perfectly happy with ordering beef
stroganoff with egg noodles on "formal (optional)" night - I was NOT
happy that the meat strips were so tough, the sauce was strange, there
were no mushrooms and the sour cream wasn't in the sauce but a measily
dollop of sour cream on the flabby, dollar bill-sized noodles.

This was our third NCL cruise - I'm a bronze Latitudes member. I
expect to die a bronze latitudes member. During our group's dinner on
Wednesday, our organizer had drawings for "spectacular prizes"
including vouchers from airlines. If there had been a free NCL cruise.
I would have refused. Seriously. Even if they had covered shipboard
expenses and air. My time off is too valuable. Life is too short to
ever cruise NCL again.

Mark
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
, SF
wrote:

This was our third NCL cruise - I'm a bronze Latitudes member. I
expect to die a bronze latitudes member. During our group's dinner on
Wednesday, our organizer had drawings for "spectacular prizes"
including vouchers from airlines. If there had been a free NCL cruise.
I would have refused. Seriously. Even if they had covered shipboard
expenses and air. My time off is too valuable. Life is too short to
ever cruise NCL again.

Thank you for your report. Sorry to hear it was so bad. Not to
surprised though. After my NCL cruise I decided I would only book NCL
if our Viking group insisted on booking it. Otherwise never.

--
Charles
Old March 16th, 2011, 03:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 3/15/2011 9:19 PM, Charles wrote:
In article
, SF
wrote:

This was our third NCL cruise - I'm a bronze Latitudes member. I
expect to die a bronze latitudes member. During our group's dinner on
Wednesday, our organizer had drawings for "spectacular prizes"
including vouchers from airlines. If there had been a free NCL cruise.
I would have refused. Seriously. Even if they had covered shipboard
expenses and air. My time off is too valuable. Life is too short to
ever cruise NCL again.

Thank you for your report. Sorry to hear it was so bad. Not to
surprised though. After my NCL cruise I decided I would only book NCL
if our Viking group insisted on booking it. Otherwise never.

Someone I know recently returned from an NCL cruise. When she told me
she was going on a cruise, I asked her what line and she told me NCL. I
told her she should have asked me for my advice first. She said that she
had already been told that she made a bad choice. Apparently she booked
a last minute cruise so she had to pay in full and had no time to fix
her mistake by canceling and picking something better. Saw her this
weekend and she said it was terrible. I didn't get the details, but
obviously I was not surprised.

Bill
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

MARK:
My thoughts exactly same as yours,I am one of the ones that posted long
ago never to take an NCL cruise even if FREE and a bonus besides.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old March 17th, 2011, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/15/2011 5:30 PM, Mark (SF) wrote:
[...]

Now you all understand why I stated here that if they gave me a free
cruise, I'd give it back.

I would sail with Gilligan and The Skipper before I'd sail with NCL.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Earl_Colby_Pottinger

On Mar 16, 9:05*pm, Janet Wilder wrote:
[...]

Would you do Carnival instead?

E.C. Pottinger (Carnival Lover)
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/25/2011 6:34 PM, Earl_Colby_Pottinger wrote:
On Mar 16, 9:05 pm, Janet wrote:
[...]

I might, but DH won't. At least Carnival has civilized dining, all be
it in garishly decorated dining rooms ;-)

I have heard that their food is pretty good but we were extremely
disappointed to learn that Carnival charges for distilled water for
C-Pap and Bi-pap machine users. This is a medical necessity. Royal,
Celebrity and the river companies we've cruised with don't charge. It's
not the $5 or so for the water, it's the fact that they charge for
something people need for their health. Turned us right off.

We have been really happy with Royal Caribbean and are Diamond on their
loyalty program but we are going to take a Celebrity cruise next year.

The only choices for the itinerary we wanted were Celebrity and
Carnival. When I tried to find a non-obstructed balcony on the Carnival
ship, it was close to the price of the Celebrity ship. Then there were
the free drinks and other perks ($300 OBC) and Captain's Club Elite
status. Combine that with our unhappiness for charging for a medical
need and Carnival struck out.

Old March 26th, 2011, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article om, Janet
Wilder wrote:

I might, but DH won't. At least Carnival has civilized dining, all be
it in garishly decorated dining rooms ;-)

I advise you to stay away from Carnival. The food is very good but I
doubt that the rest of the Carnival experience would be to your liking.
Carnival does not offer much for discerning cruisers.

--
Charles
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Goomba

Janet Wilder wrote:

I have heard that their food is pretty good but we were extremely
disappointed to learn that Carnival charges for distilled water for
C-Pap and Bi-pap machine users. This is a medical necessity. Royal,
Celebrity and the river companies we've cruised with don't charge. It's
not the $5 or so for the water, it's the fact that they charge for
something people need for their health. Turned us right off.

Sorry, Janet but I don't agree. You pay for your own prescriptions (or
your insurance does) right? Why should RC pay for your special needs?
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K[_3_]

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 20:40:07 -0400, Charles wrote:

I advise you to stay away from Carnival. The food is very good but I
doubt that the rest of the Carnival experience would be to your
liking. Carnival does not offer much for discerning cruisers
especially homosexuals.

--
Charles

Right on, Partner O' Mine smooch