The Plot Thickens..... They called me again....

Old September 12th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Jeff Coudriet

Default The Plot Thickens..... They called me again....

Cal--I think you're right. This isn't (for me at least) a pro-Carnival
or con-Carnival thing. In fact, we are thinking about sailing on the
Carnival Legend in January (4 sea days!). For me it's just an
interesting observation of a business practice.

But the plot thickens....last night Carnival called me for the third
time! This time they left a voice mail message indicating they wanted
to help me with the southern caribbean cruise I had been looking at.
However, I didn't in any way indicate (ie, put a hole, or ask for a
quote, etc.) on that type of cruise, but clearly they are TRACKING MY
ONLINE MOVEMENTS ON THEIR WEBSITE. Sorry for the "shouting" but I
wanted to highlight that. They obviously have very good software and
were able to track my movements on their site. A little creepy I think.

Jeff

Cal Ford wrote:

Yes, it was reported in the trade press a few months back that a former Ren
marketing guy was in charge of setting up Carnivals direct booking effort.

Heard a report last night at a trade show that Carnival has more than 200
telephone operators doing nothing but cold calls trying to drum up business.

Has nothing to do with whether or not someone likes or dislikes Carnival. It is
a fact of business as perceived by Carnival senior management. Nothing more and
nothing less.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

Old September 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
E.k.R.

Funny, I've sailed on 8 Carnival Cruises including one in July, have ordered
brochures on numerous occasions and always provided my phone number, and yet
I've never heard a peep from them. I guess they figure they already have me
as a customer?

Now just yesterday I did received a call from a "Personal Cruise Consultant"
at Cunard Line. I recently ordered a brochure on their website, which the
caller mentioned in his message, and that he wanted to help me with any
plans I was considering.

This strategy is obviously being used on more than one Carnival brand.
Travel Agents beware, you are being replaced by a more aggressive strategy.

Ernie - who's already booked on Cunard in May, on the new QM2.

Old September 12th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Da Parrot-chick

"Jeff Coudriet" wrote in message

But the plot thickens....last night Carnival called me for the third
time! This time they left a voice mail message indicating they wanted
to help me with the southern caribbean cruise I had been looking at.
However, I didn't in any way indicate (ie, put a hole, or ask for a
quote, etc.) on that type of cruise, but clearly they are TRACKING MY
ONLINE MOVEMENTS ON THEIR WEBSITE. Sorry for the "shouting" but I
wanted to highlight that. They obviously have very good software and
were able to track my movements on their site. A little creepy I think.

It is creepy, and it's also legal, or at least not illegal. Jeff, there's a
freeware program called Spybot Search & Destroy that you can download to
eliminate these type cookies from your hard drive. I run it a couple of
times a week and am astounded by all the stuff it catches. It's actually
shareware but they just ask for a donation to keep it available.

I don't have the URL bookmarked but a Google search will probably turn it
up.

Old September 12th, 2003, 09:11 PM
EileenMcDonald

But the plot thickens....last night Carnival called me for the third
time!

Carnival also called me, last week. Like you, I had registered at the site,
giving my real name and phone #.
I picked up the call... I was really, really surprised. The res. agent tried
to make it sound as if I had asked for a call....I didn't.
Anyway, I listened...(and she also knew what itinerary I was looking at on
the website)...It was funny... you could, almost, hear her looking
through the sales play book, you know.... an official comeback responce to
ANYTHING I had to say. She was very aggressive, and in my opinion, not very
truthful. A really, heavy, sales push. And the prices she was offering were
NOT great, at all. In fact, I was astounded by how high the prices were.
I was looking at the website to try and get an idea of which Spirit class
ships, go where. We were thinking of taking 2 of DH'S kids and the 3
grandkids. The kids would be willing to take the cheapest, possible room
that holds 5. It's the only way we could afford to take them. I've seen some
really good prices with Carnival on the S.C. ships and have no doubt, that
I'll see them again. No matter WHAT the res. agent claims! I came right out
and told her that I was not the least impressed with the prices she was
offering...haven't heard from her since.
Carnival is not the only line doing this...about a month ago, at the RCL
website I was casually looking around, decided to do one of those My Cruise
Folder? (I think, it's called). Anyway, 2 days later RCL called me, claimed,
at first, to be a customer service feedback call, ya know, asking if I found
the site easy to use, etc. Then he asked if I wanted to check cruise prices
with him... Told him I was already booked..... "Could I help you with
excursions, then? LOL!
Eileen

---

Old September 12th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Tom & Linda

"E.k.R." wrote:

This strategy is obviously being used on more than one Carnival brand.
Travel Agents beware, you are being replaced by a more aggressive strategy.

Careful Ernest... they called me Anti Carnival when I hinted at that.
wink

Though... I don't see a lot of the VERY PRO Carnival TA's defending
Carnival's new anti TA tactics. Hey... Maybe the very pro Carnival TA's
don't really like it.

--Tom
Old September 12th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Steve Buch

Say it ain't so Jeff! Jeff & Robert on Carnival? You said you are
"thinking" about it. Please think long and hard! You have an image to
maintain.

- Steve B.

Old September 13th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Steve Buch

Default The Plot Thickens..... They called me again.... Spybot

I use Spybot too. Got it after reading an article about it. It really
does work. Here is the URL:

http://security.kolla.de/

- Steve B.

Old September 13th, 2003, 01:03 AM
George Leppla

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message

Though... I don't see a lot of the VERY PRO Carnival TA's defending
Carnival's new anti TA tactics. Hey... Maybe the very pro Carnival TA's
don't really like it.

Maybe we have heard your feeble attempts at trolling so often that we no
longer take you seriously. Repetition without substance is boring and here
lately, you have been a real yawner although I have enjoyed watching you
dance around, rationalize and minimize the deficiencies that others have
reported about your recent Celebrity cruise.

I have posted a number of times about cruise lines trying to get a higher
percentage of their bookings by direct marketing.... especially Carnival. If
you are interested in what I had to say, do a Google search. I'll make it
easy for you.... look up posts I made in early August.

Hint... if you are going to troll, find bait that hasn't been chewed a dozen
times already.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

Norwegian Dawn http://www.cruisemaster.com/dawn.htm
Sleazy 3 - Carnival Conquest http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm

Old September 13th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Hmmm, interesting. My little "experiment", as I'm calling it now,
continues. They called me for a fourth time today! Maybe they checked
our credit card records or something and said "he's a keeper"!!

Jeff

Old September 13th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Jeff Coudriet

I think I have heard of that software Skip. I shall mosey over to
download.com and look for that.

Jeff