which ships have "sing along" piano bars?

Old September 13th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Charles

Default which ships have "sing along" piano bars?

In article , Howard Garland
wrote:

Not sure about the other cruise lines that I've been on, cause I'm
not into piano bars.

I am not into them either, but it seems to be more dependent on the
individual piano players on Princess and RCL ships, whether they do
sing alongs.

--
Charles
Old September 13th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Benjamin Smith

Asya Kamsky wrote:
All Carnival Fantasy class ships have a piano bar with a sing-along
sort of thing going. My one cruise on the Destiny was a slight
disappointment because the piano lounge was more like a glorified
karaoke bar with no one singing except the piano player.

I haven't seen this sort of entertainment on other cruiselines --
are there other classes of ships on other lines that have the sing-along
piano bar nightly?

Yes, HAL ships, Statendam to current, any RCI ship with Schooner bar,
sing-alongs can be in pretty much any area with a piano, but I think
works better in a separate area. Celebrity has piano bars in their
Millennium ships, the converted Michael's clubs, but I'm not sure what
type of activities go on in there.

I think how well it works depends on the piano player, the pax (depends
on whether the pax know the tunes, could be show tunes, era tunes (70s,
80s, disco, standards, etc.). I like piano players that have a shtick, a
rapport with the audience and play off of the audience.

Ben S.

--
Asya Kamsky

"To forgive is an act of compassion. It is not done because
people deserve it, it's done because they need it." -- Rupert Giles.

Old September 13th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Asya Kamsky

In article ,
Jomamaok13 wrote:
Not so great are pianists who interrupt singing along - mid-song - to do their
"schtick" (Golden Princess) or who discourage the crowd's singing in favor of
one or two of her pals taking the mic (Paradise).

Actually, we were on the Paradise in January and had a great time in
the piano bar. The mic just kept going to whoever wanted to sing
next, and it usually wasn't too crowded so it made its way around
pretty quickly.

The whole crowd sang, but the person who had the mic got to pick
out the song out of the songbook. Seemed like a good way to go -- if
the piano player makes the choices sometimes you end up with the
same bunch of songs every night!

Old September 15th, 2003, 04:41 AM
brenda

Benjamin Smith wrote in message ...
brenda wrote:

The Ryndam does & the singer was horrible! Still can't figure out how
he got the job...

Ryndam is a Statendam class ship, therefore it has a piano bar. The
Ryndam's singer depends on when you go, the same singer you had may be
on the Volendam now. Or maybe he was a fill-in. Who was he and what did
you not like about him?

Ben

Hi - Sorry I can't remember his name & threw out our daily programs,
but it was the Sea of Cortez 9 day New Year's cruise X San Dec. 29th
or 30th, 2002. His voice was just awful & he would yell - pax would
hurry by the doors plugging their ears! Too bad, as seemed like a
really cute bar.