Buying luggage in Bangkok

Old September 15th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Mark A

Default Buying luggage in Bangkok

Excellent. I can kill two birds with one stone. Exactly the info I was
looking for! As for bargaining, my best Thai language skills come out
when bargaining . I am so-so in general conversation, but do pretty
well with shopping/bargaining talk (which then leads the seller to
turn the subject when the deal is done, thinking I can actually
*speak* Thai well!).

Bargaining is not a verbal skill. It involves being prepared to walk out if
the price is too high (with an eye looking over your shoulder to see if they
will to lower the price). Never let them think you are dead set on buying a
particular item (this advice applies to buying a car in the US also).

Old September 15th, 2003, 12:17 PM
XOR

"Mark A" wrote in message ...
Excellent. I can kill two birds with one stone. Exactly the info I was
looking for! As for bargaining, my best Thai language skills come out
when bargaining . I am so-so in general conversation, but do pretty
well with shopping/bargaining talk (which then leads the seller to
turn the subject when the deal is done, thinking I can actually
*speak* Thai well!).

Bargaining is not a verbal skill. It involves being prepared to walk out if
the price is too high (with an eye looking over your shoulder to see if they
will to lower the price). Never let them think you are dead set on buying a
particular item (this advice applies to buying a car in the US also).

Um, thanks. I do ok. It simply helps to speak the local language . I
have been with people who ask a price in English and it's often higher
than when I ask the same question in Thai. My *problem* is *after*
the deal, when they want to start conversing in Thai about something
other than the product at hand, and for that, my language skills are
still limited.

FWIW I bargain differently in Thailand than I do in Kenya or Mexico -
different rules in each place. Also helps to live in a place long
enough to know how much things are worth. In Thailand alone I bargain
differently depending upon where I am - eg Patpong/Silom vs Chatuchak
vs. border market in Mae Sot. Different rules and expectations based
on the typical customer base.
Old September 16th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Anders

XOR wrote:

ANy suggestions for where in Bangkok to buy good (or at least decent)
quality luggage?

I know of the shops downstairs in NarayaPhand, and have bought some
things there before- relatively good quality. But I am now looking for
something very specific in size, and pretty much only have one day in
BKK to get it. So if they don't have what I need, I'm at a loss for
where else to go. Kind of would prefer cheaper than department store
prices, but am willing to pay abit more for quality if necessary.

Thanks!

Try any large shopping mall, and don't miss MBK!

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!