Short Break to Nice

Old March 10th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Andrew Richardson

Default Short Break to Nice

My beloved and I are going on a four-day short break to the South of
France next month. Any ideas of what we should see or do when we're
there? We've thought of a couple of ideas to choose from. Do these
sound sensible day trips? We won't attempt to do them all, maybe one
or two.

Cannes by rail or bus
Walking in Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat
Monte Carlo
Villefranche-sur-mer

We're really into walking so would like to fit some of that in if
possible. I'm building a website of my photos so I'll put them on
there for you all to see when I come back.

Thanks

Andrew
Old March 12th, 2005, 08:20 AM
JuanElorza

Andrew Richardson a écrit :
My beloved and I are going on a four-day short break to the South of
France next month. Any ideas of what we should see or do when we're
there? We've thought of a couple of ideas to choose from. Do these
sound sensible day trips? We won't attempt to do them all, maybe one
or two.

Cannes by rail or bus
Walking in Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat
Monte Carlo
Villefranche-sur-mer

We're really into walking so would like to fit some of that in if
possible. I'm building a website of my photos so I'll put them on
there for you all to see when I come back.

Thanks

Andrew

Maybe, if weather is not too cold, have an excursion in the mountain
close to Nice.
http://www.trainprovence.com/provence.Asp?laliste=0;357
(sorry french) A village with some possible walking
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/joseph.boyer/thorame.htm
http://jcfvc.chez.tiscali.fr/thorame.htm

A medieval village Eze :
http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/ang/welcome.html
http://www.ville-eze.fr/
http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/bus.htm
Old March 12th, 2005, 11:07 AM
JuanElorza

Andrew Richardson a écrit :
My beloved and I are going on a four-day short break to the South of
France next month. Any ideas of what we should see or do when we're
there? We've thought of a couple of ideas to choose from. Do these
sound sensible day trips? We won't attempt to do them all, maybe one
or two.

Cannes by rail or bus

Going to Canne by train is very easy. Frequent train services.
Walking in Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat
Monte Carlo
Villefranche-sur-mer

We're really into walking so would like to fit some of that in if
possible. I'm building a website of my photos so I'll put them on
there for you all to see when I come back.

Thanks

Andrew

Nice is very urban. There are very few walking possibilities near the
city itself. You can walk in the old city and the "castle" hill.
http://www.nicetourism.com/GB/frames...tineraire.html
St Paul de Vence
http://www.saint-pauldevence.com/map...uldevence.html
BY BUS
* From Nice bus station: bus N°400 (Nice
/Airport/Saint-Laurent-du-Var/Cagnes-sur-Mer/Saint-Paul and Vence) every
30 to 45 min. Nice/Saint-Paul takes 1 hour.
http://www.saint-pauldevence.com/

See a parfume factory in Grasse.
http://www.ville-grasse.fr/
public transportation http://www.cg06.fr/tam-html/menu.html (not easy to
use)
Depart Ligne Fonctionne les Arrivee
05h52mn 600 GRASSE - CANNES ( PAR MOUANS) - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 06h28mn
06h03mn 610 GRASSE - CANNES PAR PEGOMAS - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 06h45mn
06h33mn 600 GRASSE - CANNES ( PAR MOUANS) - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 07h13mn
06h47mn 610 GRASSE - CANNES PAR PEGOMAS - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 07h40mn
06h48mn 600 GRASSE - CANNES ( PAR MOUANS) - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 07h28mn
07h04mn 600 GRASSE - CANNES ( PAR MOUANS) - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 07h50mn
07h17mn 610 GRASSE - CANNES PAR PEGOMAS - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 08h10mn
07h19mn 600 GRASSE - CANNES ( PAR MOUANS) - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 08h11mn
07h35mn 600 GRASSE - CANNES ( PAR MOUANS) - R lun, mar, mer, jeu,
ven, sam 08h28mn

If you had a little more time, or a car, you could reach the nearby
mountains, where there are are many walking paths. By train, it could be
difficult, but not impossible.
http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/mag/outdoor/hiking.htm
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/
NICE ST ROCH 07h26 TER 81309
BREIL SUR ROYA 08h27
BREIL SUR ROYA 08h34 TER 22954
Choisir cet aller
TENDE 09h07
http://www.breil-sur-roya.fr/
http://www.royabevera.com/
http://www.royabevera.com/breil.asp
http://www.lignedazur.com/index.asp
BUS MAP NICE
http://www.lignedazur.com/ftp/FR_pla...IER%202005.pdf
Old March 12th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Mike O'Sullivan

Andrew Richardson wrote:
My beloved and I are going on a four-day short break to the South of
France next month. Any ideas of what we should see or do when we're
there? We've thought of a couple of ideas to choose from. Do these
sound sensible day trips? We won't attempt to do them all, maybe one
or two.

Cannes by rail or bus
Walking in Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat
Monte Carlo
Villefranche-sur-mer

We're really into walking so would like to fit some of that in if
possible. I'm building a website of my photos so I'll put them on
there for you all to see when I come back.

Thanks

Andrew

In Nice itself, if the weather is good, I would recommend a trip to Mont
Boron. A short and scenic bus ride (No.14) takes you up to an attractive
forested area with enjoyable woodland walks. There are several pathways
to choose and I always walk down to the coast road and back into Nice.

Cannes is easy and quick by train, and while there take one of the
tourist boats which run to the Lerins islands. Ile St-Honorat and Ile
Ste-Marguerite, which has a fortress built by Richelieu to house the
mysterious prisoner The Man in the Iron Mask. More attractive walks
here, through forests of pines and eucalyptus trees.
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:59 AM
JuanElorza

Andrew Richardson a écrit :
My beloved and I are going on a four-day short break to the South of
France next month. Any ideas of what we should see or do when we're
there? We've thought of a couple of ideas to choose from. Do these
sound sensible day trips? We won't attempt to do them all, maybe one
or two.

Cannes by rail or bus
Walking in Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat
Monte Carlo
Villefranche-sur-mer

If the weather is good, and you rent a car for a day, you can go in the
mountains between Nice and Italy and see another completely different
country, high mountains, small villages, springs, fountains.
It is not really far from Nice and starting early, a day is enough to
have a fair glimpse.

My favourites : St Martin Vésubie, St Dalmas, Lantosque, Roquebillière.
You can safely ignore Isola 2000. You have no time, and it is too early,
for the "vallée des merveilles".
http://www.vesubian.com/
http://www.vesubian.com/villages/martin/st_martin.htm
http://www.vesubian.com/sites/musee/musee.htm
http://www.vesubian.com/sites/annuaire/restaurants.htm

In Nice, if you have the opportunity, in the morning, go to the market
in the old town (near rue pairolière), there are open air restaurants
where you can probe ban bagna, ****aladières, socca and other typical
food of the Nice country.
It should be near there ( see maps and photos with
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi )
MAMA
RUE PAIROLIERE
NICE (ALPES MARITIMES)
Restaurant Taca d'Oli
35 r Pairolière 06300 NICE
Restaurant L'Escalinada
22 r Pairolière 06300 NICE

Old March 13th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Andrew Richardson wrote:

My beloved and I are going on a four-day short break to the South of
France next month. Any ideas of what we should see or do when we're
there? We've thought of a couple of ideas to choose from. Do these
sound sensible day trips? We won't attempt to do them all, maybe one
or two.

Cannes by rail or bus
Walking in Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat
Monte Carlo
Villefranche-sur-mer

We're really into walking so would like to fit some of that in if
possible. I'm building a website of my photos so I'll put them on
there for you all to see when I come back.

The highlight of our trip last year was the Petit Train des Pignes.

See: http://www.beyond.fr/sites/pignes.html

Especially if you like the idea of walking or hiking, it might be
worth a full day.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:08 PM
szozu

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
Andrew Richardson wrote:

My beloved and I are going on a four-day short break to the South of
France next month. Any ideas of what we should see or do when we're
there? We've thought of a couple of ideas to choose from. Do these
sound sensible day trips? We won't attempt to do them all, maybe one
or two.

Cannes by rail or bus
Walking in Saint Jean Cap-Ferrat
Monte Carlo
Villefranche-sur-mer

We're really into walking so would like to fit some of that in if
possible. I'm building a website of my photos so I'll put them on
there for you all to see when I come back.

The highlight of our trip last year was the Petit Train des Pignes.

See: http://www.beyond.fr/sites/pignes.html

Especially if you like the idea of walking or hiking, it might be
worth a full day.

I was just going to recommend that!

As mentioned, the Lerin Islands are also nice, as there are no cars. The
boats leave from the old port.

There are also walking opportunities along the various capes. Though I
haven't walked along Saint Jean Cap-Ferat, I have enjoyed walking some of
the other capes and coastal paths in the area.

When travelling from Nice to Cannes, take the train. It's better to take one
of the intercity trains and not the regional train, as the journey time is
much faster.

I would skip Monte Carlo and consider Villefranche not all that interesting.
If you decide to visit the perched Eze Village (infrequent bus service), you
can take the path down to Eze Bord-de-Mer and then hop on one of the
frequent buses back to Nice after a brief visit to the beach. The path is
supposed to take one hour, but I made it down in about half an hour. Going
UP is not recommended!

Lana

Old March 13th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Mark Fagan

Jack's guide to the Riviera (www.jack-travel.com) has lots of info on sites,
but especially is good for restaurant reccomendations. He also covers all
the smaller towns and villages, which not all guides do.

Old March 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Andrew Richardson

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:20:12 +0100, JuanElorza
wrote:

Andrew Richardson a écrit :

Maybe, if weather is not too cold, have an excursion in the mountain
close to Nice.
http://www.trainprovence.com/provence.Asp?laliste=0;357
(sorry french) A village with some possible walking
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/joseph.boyer/thorame.htm
http://jcfvc.chez.tiscali.fr/thorame.htm

A medieval village Eze :
http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/ang/welcome.html
http://www.ville-eze.fr/
http://www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/bus.htm

Thank you to all who replied to this message. I'll let you know how
it went.

Andrew