road maps with gas stations

Old April 28th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Marko

Default road maps with gas stations

Thanks everybody for your great advice!
As my departure is closing near (01 June), I have some more questions. Does
anyone have some recomendation for good road maps with petrol stations
included. Iam traveling by motorbike by the following route: Morocco -
Tunisia - Malta - Egypt - Sudan - Eritrea - Djibouti - Ethiopia - Kenya -
Uganda - Rwanda - Burundi - Tanzania - Malawi - Mozambiqoue - Zimbabwe -
Zambia - Botswana - Namibia - South Africa - Lesotho - Swaziland -
Madagascar.
I am looking for maps which include several countries on one map.
Also I would apriciate very much advice regarding ferry or similar sea
transport for me and motorbike from Morocco to Tunisia and Tunisia to Egypt.
(I couldn't get Algerian and Lybian visa).

Thanks again,
Marko

Old April 29th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Marc Lurie

I have found the Michelin maps to be excellent. I use the West Africa
(Number 953), the North/East Africa (Number 954) and Southern Africa
(Number 955). They are very detailed, pretty accurate, and they are
small enough to stuff in your pocket or a bag.

They don't indicate gas stations though, and personally, I don't think
I'd trust a map in Africa that did show gas stations. The rule is
simple, "fill up when you can". In many parts of Africa fuel supplies
can be unreliable and even gas stations may be empty due to delivery
issues, outstanding debt etc.

I have found that a minimum safe travelling range is about 600km per
tank. You will get away with shorter range if you are absolutely
fastidious about filling up at every opportunity unless you absolutely
know that there is fuel at your final destination.

South Africa is not a problem, as practically every town will have a
gas station, and the main routes are well serviced with service
stations.

Regards,

Marc - Johannesburg