Spanish & Italian translation

Old September 21st, 2005, 04:08 PM
Tez

Default Spanish & Italian translation

Hello

I need help with translating into Spainish and Italian the words
"Reserved for".

I wish to make a camping poster and have used the internet translation
websites but i don't know if they reflect that i am describing a
camping pitch reservation.

So far i have the Spanish words "reservado para" and Italian words
"riservato per". Would you use these words to say a camping pitch is
"Reserved for Teresa Hill"?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old September 21st, 2005, 08:41 PM
DDT Filled Mormons

On 21 Sep 2005 08:08:02 -0700, "Tez" wrote:

Hello

I need help with translating into Spainish and Italian the words
"Reserved for".

I wish to make a camping poster and have used the internet translation
websites but i don't know if they reflect that i am describing a
camping pitch reservation.

So far i have the Spanish words "reservado para" and Italian words
"riservato per". Would you use these words to say a camping pitch is
"Reserved for Teresa Hill"?

Any help would be appreciated.

In Italian, "prenotato da" (reserved by) would be correct.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
The Reids

Following up to Tez

Any help would be appreciated.

Now that ones solved, can anybody help he-

Castilian and archaic gallego:-
Pobres canhotas furadas, fogar dos vermes e alimanhas
Podridas cañas agujereadas, hogar de gusanos y de alimañas

The first bit translates as "Reeds, Rotten and full of holes" in
a litany of bad things like mutilated corpses, barren wives,
smelly goats and Margaret Thatcher that you wish to exorcise in a
Quemada ceremony.

Now, reeds with holes in is about as evil as mouldy bread, so can
anybody explain either why its bad or a better translation?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:10 AM
Jordi

The Reids ha escrito:

Following up to Tez

Any help would be appreciated.

Now that ones solved, can anybody help he-

Castilian and archaic gallego:-
Pobres canhotas furadas, fogar dos vermes e alimanhas
Podridas ca=F1as agujereadas, hogar de gusanos y de alima=F1as

The first bit translates as "Reeds, Rotten and full of holes" in
a litany of bad things like mutilated corpses, barren wives,
smelly goats and Margaret Thatcher that you wish to exorcise in a
Quemada ceremony.

Now, reeds with holes in is about as evil as mouldy bread, so can
anybody explain either why its bad or a better translation?
--

Next to that says 'home for worms and vermin', that is the part that
truly evokes evil things. Not that reeds (rotten or not) have a

Maybe it's a Galician thing, I cannot tell you at this point.

J=2E

Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:38 PM
The Reids

Following up to Jordi

Next to that says 'home for worms and vermin', that is the part that
truly evokes evil things. Not that reeds (rotten or not) have a
particular relationship with evel things, except for growing on certain
kind of waters, perhaps.

Yes, marsh and swamp.

I had it as:-
Reeds, rotten and full of holes, worm holes and lairs of vermin.
So you think its more like:-
"Reeds, rotten and full of holes, lairs(homes) of worms and
vermin".

That reads better as English and checking the words one by one I
see I had "holes" repeated.

Maybe it's a Galician thing, I cannot tell you at this point.

A Galician professor is mystified.

Its the speech when preparing Quiemada from aquadiente. We have
it recorded by a Galician pipe band and are going to do the whole
thing at a dinner party on Saturday, look out evil spirits!

Heres the whole text:-
Conspiracy
All owls, toads and witches.
Evil demons and devils, spirits of the snowy fields.
Crows, salamanders and sorceresses, spells of witch-doctors.
Reeds, rotten and full of holes, lair of worms and vermin.
Fire of souls in torment, the evil eye, black spells, the smell
of the dead, thunder and lightning.
Dog's bark, portents of death; satyr's snout and rabbits foot.
The sinful tongue of the old man's harridan wife.
Hell of Satan and Beelzebub, fire of burning corpses, wretched
mutilated bodies, farts from infernal arses, the roar of the
raging sea.
Barren womb of the unmarried woman, catawalling cats on heat,
mangy, filthy hair of the ill-begotten goat.
With this ladle I will raise the flames of this hell-fire, and
the witches will flee on their broomsticks, to bathe on the rocky
shore.
Hear, hear! The howls of those who burn in the aguardiente and
thereby purify themselves. And when this brew runs down our
throats, we will be free of all the sins of our soul and of all
witchcraft.
Forces of air, earth, sea and fire, I make this call to you: if
it be true that you have more power then man, here and now, make
the spirits of the friends who have departed share this quiemada
with us.

Conxuro
Buhos, lechuzas, sapos y brujas.
Demonios maléficos y diablos, espíritus de las nevadas vegas.
Cuervos, salamandras y meigas, hechizos de las curanderas.
Podridas cañas agujereadas, hogar de gusanos y de alimañas.
Fuego de las almas en pena, mal de ojo, negros hechizos, olor de
los muertos, truenos y rayos.
Ladrido del perro, anuncio de la muerte; hocico del sátiro y pie
del conejo.
Pecadora lengua de la mala mujer casada con un hombre viejo.
Infierno de Satán y Belcebú, fuego de los cadáveres en llamas,
cuerpos mutilados de los indecentes, pedos de los infernales
culos, mugido de la mar embravecida.
Vientre inútil de la mujer soltera, maullar de los gatos en celo,
pelo malo y sucio de la cabra mal parida.
Con este cazo levantaré las llamas de este fuego que se asemeja
al del infierno, y huirán las brujas a caballo de sus escobas,
yéndose a bañar a la playa de las arenas gordas.
¡Oíd, oíd! los rugidos que dan las que no pueden dejar de
quemarse en el aguardiente quedando así purificadas.
Y cuando este brebaje baje por nuestras gargantas, quedaremos
libres de los males de nuestra alma y de todo embrujamiento.
Fuerzas del aire, tierra, mar y fuego, a vosotros hago esta
llamada: si es verdad que tenéis más poder que la humana gente,
aquí y ahora, haced que los espíritus de los amigos que están
fuera, participen con nosotros de esta queimada.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Jordi

The Reids ha escrito:

Its the speech when preparing Quiemada from aquadiente. We have
it recorded by a Galician pipe band and are going to do the whole
thing at a dinner party on Saturday, look out evil spirits!

A Galician friend of mine has this 'Conxuro' in a parchment hung on the
wall. I am aware there are quite some musicalized versions of this
Conxuro.

Galicia is famous in Spain for their witches (meigas), there is a
famous saying there that goes more or less like 'I don't believe in
witches, but they indeed exist'.

Having a proper (and by proper I mean the full ceremony) queimada is
really fun! Good luck with the translation

J.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
The Reids

Following up to Jordi

Its the speech when preparing Quiemada from aquadiente. We have
it recorded by a Galician pipe band and are going to do the whole
thing at a dinner party on Saturday, look out evil spirits!

A Galician friend of mine has this 'Conxuro' in a parchment hung on the
wall. I am aware there are quite some musicalized versions of this
Conxuro.

We bought a CD, it has music, but the Conxuro is spoken. At first
we thought when we heard "vermes alimanhas" it was going to mean
verminous Germans! :-)

Galicia is famous in Spain for their witches (meigas), there is a
famous saying there that goes more or less like 'I don't believe in
witches, but they indeed exist'.

Like the christian cross on one end and pagan symbol on either
end of the horrios. Each way bet?

Having a proper (and by proper I mean the full ceremony) queimada is
really fun! Good luck with the translation

Thanks! I think they were doing it at "Medeval" in Pontevedra.