short break in Verona

Old September 14th, 2003, 12:45 AM
andyhumphriss

Default short break in Verona

Thanks to Ryanair, (God, I love 'em!) we are off to Verona for 3 nights next
week. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Is it worth taking the train to Venice, or will Verona itself keep us busy?

Kind regards

Andy

Old September 14th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Derek F

If you have not been to Venice before take the chance to go. We did it the
other way round, stayed in Venice and had a day in Verona.
Derek.

Old September 14th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Ron Audet

Venice is wonderful, but it would require far more time than a day visit. It
is really at its best at night, which would require at least one overnight
stay for you to experience it.

On the other hand, a while back I spent ten days in Verona and it was not
nearly enought time for me to do all that I wanted to do there. It is a
beautiful, historic, and lively city. I would stay there the whole time if I
had only the three days you mention.

Old September 14th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Lounge1958

Venice is amazing. Even if I could only spend a few hours there I would go
back in a minute. Verona is a beautiful city and much larger than I thought
it would be. The only problem I found was the amount of beggars and how
agressive they were. I have been all around that area and found Verona to be
quite bad for this. However, still a great place to go. If you don't make it
to Venice there are many places just outside of Verona to explore such as
the wine areas of Valpolicella, Bardolino and Soave (saw this from the train
just outside Verona and it looks like a very interesting place). A great
restaurant that we found was just near the Arena called Liston. It was
behind the main restaurants right on the Piazza Bra on a small alley, but it
was the best food with local wine I have had in Italy. The wine we had was
Soave served in a half litre jug for only 3- Euro.
Have a great time...

Old September 15th, 2003, 09:48 PM
N! Xau

"andyhumphriss" wrote in message
Thanks to Ryanair, (God, I love 'em!) we are off to Verona for 3 nights

next
week. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Is it worth taking the train to Venice, or will Verona itself keep us

busy?

You may consider other options in that region (Veneto).
Padova is a very very beautiful town.
Vicenza, Treviso are certainly worth of a visit.
There are other very interesting minor centers.
Take a look at:
http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/veneto.htm

Venezia is great, but I'd prefere to visit it having a little more time.

bye
N! Xau

Old September 15th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Ron Audet

"N! Xau" wrote in message

"andyhumphriss" wrote in message
Thanks to Ryanair, (God, I love 'em!) we are off to Verona for 3 nights

next
week. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Is it worth taking the train to Venice, or will Verona itself keep us

busy?

You may consider other options in that region (Veneto).
Padova is a very very beautiful town.
Vicenza, Treviso are certainly worth of a visit.
There are other very interesting minor centers.
Take a look at:
http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/veneto.htm

Venezia is great, but I'd prefere to visit it having a little more time.

bye
N! Xau

And don't forget that it is quite easy to take a train from Verona to
Desenzano and spend a day touring the beautiful Lake Garda. My favorite
place there is Malcesine, but there is much to be said for Limone, Sirmione,
or even Riva. If the weather is good, there are few more beautiful places to
spend a relaxed, memorable day.

Ron Audet

Old September 16th, 2003, 05:20 AM
randee

We found plenty to do in Verona for four or five days, one of my
favorite towns. This time of year the opera may still be in season.
There are some interesting shops, several historical sites dating to
Roman times, and a museum or two. The other towns mentioned, such as
Padova, are indeed interesting and only a short train ride away. You
are only 90 minutes or so from Venice by train, but Venice never held
much interest for us, too damp, moldy and crowded. Now 90 minutes to
the north and you are in Bozen, a possible base for exploring the
Dolomites, which I find a lot more interesting than Venice.

As an aside I didn't realize Ryanair went to VRN.
--
wf.

"N! Xau" wrote:

"andyhumphriss" wrote in message
Thanks to Ryanair, (God, I love 'em!) we are off to Verona for 3 nights

next
week. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Is it worth taking the train to Venice, or will Verona itself keep us

busy?

You may consider other options in that region (Veneto).
Padova is a very very beautiful town.
Vicenza, Treviso are certainly worth of a visit.
There are other very interesting minor centers.
Take a look at:
http://www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/veneto.htm

Venezia is great, but I'd prefere to visit it having a little more time.

bye
N! Xau

--
wf.
Wayne Flowers
Randee Greenwald

Old September 16th, 2003, 12:24 PM
tile

pls note that Bozen is the german version of the italian name Bolzano.

Nobody in Italy will refer to it as Bozen.-
it is a bilingual region
Trentino Alto Adige / Suedtirol
but Italians will always call this town Bolzano.-

in the same way

Trento is translated Trient
Merano is translated Meran

as far as I know, in major towns the majority of the
population is of Italian mother tongue.-.

Old September 16th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Luca Logi

tile wrote:

in the same way

Trento is translated Trient
Merano is translated Meran

Nor exactly in the same way: only the Bolzano/Bozen province has a
multilingual status (Italian, German and Ladino, a neolatine language
closely related to the Swiss Rumatsch), which involve multiple place
names. The German name of Trento is unofficial (of course, when the
whole region was under Austria, the German name was widely used).

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Mean Mama

Verona can easily fill several days. Like anywhere else, it depends on your
interests . . . It is fairly compact, and you can easily walk from the
arena to the various piazze, etc. The Teatro Romano on the other side of
the river has a great small archeologico museum where I particularly enjoyed
the remnants of roman flooring. Also near the teatro is Santa Maria in
Organo, which has awesome inlaid woodwork in the choir. Ask the sacristan
if he will take you back into the sacristy to see the cabinets there--they
are amazing!Personally I would suggest at least bringing along (but
preferably also reading ahead) an informative guide book. The tourist
information office has nice little pamphlets on the attractions and a map.
The museum of the Castelvecchio is top of my list for my next visit to
Verona.

We have also been to Trento, Bolzano, Parma, Soave, etc. and Venice from
Verona, but truly--wandering around Verona for a long weekend would be
simply lovely!