Washington DC and New York airports choice (USA)

Old June 15th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Mark Brader

Default Washington DC and New York airports choice (USA)

Hallvard Tangeraas:
| So, how do I get from one of the central locations in NY to JFK?
| I think I might be staying at one of the Chelsea hostels in Manhattan
| if they have rooms available. ... What I don't like however is if
| I have to change trains/buses a million times when I haven't been
| there before and I'll be afraid to miss something or not find the
| buses/trains.

"Pan":
You'll have to make at least one change, at the airport train to the
subway station. Then depending where you go in Manhattan you might
need to make changes again. You'll be on the A train from JFK to
the city and that takes you to the West side, up 8th Ave.

Pan is describing the reverse route, of course. Coming from Manhattan,
you might need to change trains to get *onto* the A train for the main
trip.

Going from the city to the airport is a bit trickier because, unlike
most New York subway routes, the A train has multiple branches -- so,
some A trains don't go to the airport. Specifically, if the train
says it's going to Lefferts Blvd., don't take it. Any "Rockaway"
destination is okay.

At the airport end, you get off at Howard Beach - JFK Airport station
and the AirTrain takes you to the airport for $5 (which is more than
twice what you paid for the subway ride).

There is another option besides the subway. Go to Pennsylvania ("Penn")
Station, on 7th Avenue at 34th Street (you can also enter from 8th Av.),
and buy a Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) suburban train ticket to Jamaica
station. This costs a bit more than the subway, but nothing unreasonable,
maybe around $5. Jamaica station is on multiple routes and you shouldn't
have to wait more than a few minutes for a train. The journey will be
faster than by subway. The AirTrain also serves Jamaica, so you can get
the airport easily from there.

There is also an express bus from Manhattan to JFK for $9; its Manhattan
stops are near Penn Station, Grand Central, and the Port Authority bus
terminal. See http://www.sky-guides.com/jfk_airport.html for details.
Of course, delays due to traffic are possible.
--
Mark Brader | scanf() is even more complicated and usually does
Toronto | something almost but not completely unlike what

Old June 15th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Miguel Cruz

Bill Meng wrote:
Parking is a side issue to you and me, but it's a big deal to the
politicos. If Congress really gave a damn about the flying public they
would have closed National when Dulles was opened.

If Congress gave a damn about the flying public they would immediately
authorize the use of Dulles as a nuclear testing ground. No worse airport
has ever been built (or ever will be).

miguel
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:08 PM
pltrgyst

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:58:52 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

The second most convenient after National is Baltimore (BWI). Dulles is a
distant third, and is also the world's worst airport.

Miguel, you used to give good advice, but your recent opinions, like this one,
have been so colored by your personal prejudices that they're nigh-on worthless.

-- Larry (Alexandria)

Old June 16th, 2004, 03:55 AM
eric h

In article t,
Bill Meng wrote:

Parking is a side issue to you and me, but it's a big deal to the
politicos.

Actually, even the politically well-connected can and do appreciate the
fact that National is just a short subway ride from DC. For the rest of
us, it's a no-brainer--if you're staying in DC and don't plan on fussing
with a car, flying into National is far simpler than trying to get
some combination of buses and trains to get to BWI or IAD.

If Congress really gave a damn about the flying public they
would have closed National when Dulles was opened. I remember flying
into National and having the pilot execute a missed approach - that
really woke everyone up.

If you're bent on worrying, there's always something to worry about, but
for most of us, flights into DCA are routine, convenient and dull. It's
probably not the best place for an airport, but it's there, and I'll fly
into it as long as cost isn't an issue--for that matter, I'm usually happy
to pay a few bucks extra to fly into DCA and skip the long commute.
--
---
"Wake Up, Everybody."--McFadden/Whitehead/Carstarphen
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:19 AM
eric h

In article ,
Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

What I've done now is the following:

- Vancouver - Washington DC Reagan (DCA)
- Washington DC Dulles - New York La Guardia
- New York JFK - Zurich (via Frankfurt)

I thought I'd try out another airport when leaving, but if it's really
a crappy and inconvenient one which is difficult and time-consuming to
get to I can change this to IAD as well.
How much time do you reckon I'd use to take a bus/train to Dulles?

It's a long time, but if you like airplanes, the new Udvar-Hazy satellite
facility of the National Air and Space Museum is very close to Dulles--it
has all the large airplanes that won't fit in the main facility. As far
as I'm concerned, it's the only reason to go via Dulles. If the air
museum doesn't interest you, either try and trade in for a DCA-LGA ticket
or just take a train instead. It's about 4 hours on a cheaper train,
and $70, but for that, you save all the fuss of getting out to an airport
in DC and in from an airport to NYC.

So, how do I get from one of the central locations in NY to JFK?
I think I might be staying at one of the Chelsea hostels in Manhattan
if they have rooms available.
Would that be a good choice for staying 5 days in New York, trying to
see as much as possible without spending half of each day just
travelling?

Sounds about right. That's how I'd do it.
--
---
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Miguel Cruz

pltrgyst wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
The second most convenient after National is Baltimore (BWI). Dulles is a
distant third, and is also the world's worst airport.

Miguel, you used to give good advice, but your recent opinions, like this one,
have been so colored by your personal prejudices that they're nigh-on worthless.

It's not "prejudice" (can someone be prejudiced against an airport?) - I
think I can make a pretty rational case that Dulles is the world's worst
airport. Things may be different for you, since you live in Alexandria, in
which case not all of the difficult-to-get-there issues apply (but the
awful-once-you-are-there ones remain). But the traveler in question wants to
go to/from DC.

miguel
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Juliana L Holm

Miguel Cruz wrote:

It's not "prejudice" (can someone be prejudiced against an airport?) - I
think I can make a pretty rational case that Dulles is the world's worst
airport. Things may be different for you, since you live in Alexandria, in
which case not all of the difficult-to-get-there issues apply (but the
awful-once-you-are-there ones remain). But the traveler in question wants to
go to/from DC.

When I went to Italy in early May I took the Metro to Rosslyn and the new Metro
bus (well not really new, bu t new to me) route to Dulles and it was fairly
easy to do. At least as easy as the much more expensive Washington Flyer.

I went from work, I guess coming from home (I live near the Dunn Loring Station)
I'd be tempeted to still take the Flyer from Falls Church.

--
Julie